Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use special software for invoicing or accounting?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 14, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use special software for invoicing or accounting?".

This poll was originally submitted by INES Reisch. View the poll results »

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:44
French to English
+ ...
Coincidence Mar 14, 2015

Funny, I was polled about this just yesterday by telephone (in France)!
As I said to the journalist, no: as a one-person show, a service provider with a fiscal status that doesn't allow me to deduct costs, invoicing and accounting is very, very simple.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2015

This question has been asked over and over again and I still use the same simple system: I do my own invoicing with an Excel file. It works perfectly for my needs !

Accounting is quite another matter: I have an accountant for the quarterly VAT returns, the yearly listing and all the other financial statements. She is worth every euro I pay her! I haven't a clue what system she uses...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2015

Just Word and Excel. Next, please...

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 10:44
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2015

I am an individual freelancer who, on average, issues 10-12 invoices per month. My needs are not sophisticated/complicated enough to call for any special software.

[Edited at 2015-03-14 10:05 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2015

Excel and Word suffice.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:44
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Mar 14, 2015

In fact, most of my customers organize this themselves on my behalf. They have their whatsit together. All I have to do is OK or authorize a form or sign something and send it back.

This is how customers should treat their translators - take the weight off them completely.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I replied Other Mar 14, 2015

I use the proz.com invoicing system and I don't know if that counts.

It works fine for my approx. 15 invoices a month.

Besides that I have an external accountant.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:44
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

Excel and Word suffice.

The same. But they are very special to me

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Invoicing systems Mar 14, 2015

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

I use the proz.com invoicing system and I don't know if that counts.

It works fine for my approx. 15 invoices a month.

Besides that I have an external accountant.

I don't know, Yetta, if I would entrust a website with my confidential invoices. Have you heard of the hacking of large company websites such as Target in USA, or bank websites? Well, I bet Proz doesn't have a bank's resources to combat hacking and spearhead phishing.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Europe and America Mar 14, 2015

In America, there are several software companies (Quicken, H&R Block, Microsoft) that sell a variety of accounting software coupled with invoicing features. Most of these programs let you link up your accounts (checking, savings, credit cards, mortgage, auto loan, etc.) to their online counterparts to synchronize all transactions.

One version of Quicken (Quicken Home & Business) is geared to independent contractors who work from home. I've been using it for many years. Its invoicin
... See more
In America, there are several software companies (Quicken, H&R Block, Microsoft) that sell a variety of accounting software coupled with invoicing features. Most of these programs let you link up your accounts (checking, savings, credit cards, mortgage, auto loan, etc.) to their online counterparts to synchronize all transactions.

One version of Quicken (Quicken Home & Business) is geared to independent contractors who work from home. I've been using it for many years. Its invoicing works simply enough: you create an invoice account that links to your checking or savings accounts, so that you can receive and credit those checks as payments, which show on your checking (or savings) account once you deposit them.

Banks here use powerful encryption for online transactions, as in Europe and elsewhere, but all my financial records sit on my computer, not online, not on the cloud.

I suppose that an accounting software program that would work in Europe would have to have several versions: one for Italy, another for Great Britain, another for Luxembourg, etc., which gets complicated.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Translation Office Mar 14, 2015

I have been using this for several years now, and I find it saves me a lot of time and hassles. I also use Tally for accounting purposes. It is ubiquitously used in India by most small companies and professionals.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 14, 2015

I use Freshbooks

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
moneybird Mar 14, 2015

I use Moneybird, it tells me when an invoice is due, converts for me and does all the VAT stuff.

Maciej Szemiel
Maciej Szemiel
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
inFakt (PL) Mar 15, 2015

This simple website-based invoicing system is just perfect. Defined customers, invoices, services, etc. Couple of clicks each month and I'm done.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use special software for invoicing or accounting?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »