Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually keep strict business hours?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 12, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually keep strict business hours?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rosa Elena Lozano Arton. View the poll results »

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Mar 12, 2015

I work according to a schedule every day and I'm strict about that - so, in that sense yes. But my hours may not be the same hours every day or be conventional office hours every day.
I understood the question as meaning more along the lines of - do you keep regular [and the same] office/business hours every day - so, in that sense no.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
NO! Mar 12, 2015

There is nothing strict about my working hours. The whole point of being a freelancer, at least for me, is to be your own boss, to be free from a strict schedule and routine and to be able to structure one's time. When work comes my way (and I accept it), I just do it, regardless of working hours. These can extend beyond the standard working day and working week …

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:14
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sort of... Mar 12, 2015

When I am not working, I am really not working - not checking work emails either, for instance.
So I strictly keep to my self-set business hours, although those business hours may vary per day.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes and no Mar 12, 2015

Yes:
I'm always available during normal working hours (I am a professional)
I very rarely work outside normal working hours (I have a family/life)

No:
I generally work less than normal working hours (I have other interests)

I really don't get all the people on here who claim to work all hours of the day and night and say they have to or they prefer it that way. For me, work is just a means to an end. Life is for living.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
What are business hours? Mar 12, 2015

I am currently working for customers in Russia, USA, Germany and UK. If I kept to their business hours I would never stop. Like Diane, I keep a fairly strict schedule of my own, but that is only what suits me and my family best and doesn't necessarily coincide with what others might consider to be 'business hours'. I make sure I am available for at least a part of my customers' daytime, and I let them know when I will be at my desk if they need to contact me.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps... Mar 12, 2015

Chris S wrote:
I really don't get all the people on here who claim to work all hours of the day and night and say they have to or they prefer it that way. For me, work is just a means to an end. Life is for living.

The difference is you have a family and they have cats.

Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Yes Mar 12, 2015

I do keep strict business hours, but they're my business hours. They don't necessarily match other people's business hours!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:44
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Certainly not Mar 12, 2015

One of the reasons for quitting a regular job and entering into fulltime freelancing was I hated the fixed office hours that had to be scrupulously followed in my office. So no question arises of my following any regular office hours in my second avatar as a freelancer. But I do hold deadlines as sacrosanct and work at odd hours if required to meet them.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
How? Mar 12, 2015

My clients' demand "dictates" my business hours. As it should be with a LSP who values her customers.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I try to Mar 12, 2015

but frequently I fail...
No, actually, I don't try to any longer - with older kids (the youngest is 17) my needs have changed. What I try to do is this: cram as much work as possible into 3-4 weekdays (still allowing for sleeping and eating with the family) and then when possible, take time off to write.

Vi Pukite
Vi Pukite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Latvian to English
+ ...
Yes and no.... Mar 12, 2015

Mainly dictated by the work that comes in from different time zones and by the cat, who demands that his pet human feed him on a strict schedule, or else ....

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 12, 2015

My own working schedule is roughly the same as my clients'. I usually work from 8-9 am until about 9 most days, but it may vary. I usually stop between 2 and 5 pm for lunch and occasionally a siesta, like today

I also take the dog for a run every day in the hour before dusk (me bike, dog legs) and maybe scrump some windfall oranges. Right now it's 5.05 pm, I've downloaded a quick job due tomorrow, and before I get int
... See more
My own working schedule is roughly the same as my clients'. I usually work from 8-9 am until about 9 most days, but it may vary. I usually stop between 2 and 5 pm for lunch and occasionally a siesta, like today

I also take the dog for a run every day in the hour before dusk (me bike, dog legs) and maybe scrump some windfall oranges. Right now it's 5.05 pm, I've downloaded a quick job due tomorrow, and before I get into it I'm going to pot up a couple of seedlings as it's sunny and warm outside, so it's not as if I'm simply chained to the PC and not "living a life" of sorts...

[Edited at 2015-03-12 16:08 GMT]
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
couldn't say it better Mar 12, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

There is nothing strict about my working hours. The whole point of being a freelancer, at least for me, is to be your own boss, to be free from a strict schedule and routine and to be able to structure one's time. When work comes my way (and I accept it), I just do it, regardless of working hours. These can extend beyond the standard working day and working week …

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course not. Mar 12, 2015

The whole point of being a freelancer is that. I am very flexible with my working hours. As others have pointed out, I work as long as necessary to deliver my work on time according to what I have commited to, and that varies a lot. I also have a family, pets, and a life, and as all that that implies varies all the time, so do my working hours.
If I have a job to deliver in two days and I feel like taking a day trip with my wife, I do not mind taking most of a day off and working more the
... See more
The whole point of being a freelancer is that. I am very flexible with my working hours. As others have pointed out, I work as long as necessary to deliver my work on time according to what I have commited to, and that varies a lot. I also have a family, pets, and a life, and as all that that implies varies all the time, so do my working hours.
If I have a job to deliver in two days and I feel like taking a day trip with my wife, I do not mind taking most of a day off and working more the next day. It is my choice, as long as I do my job.

[Edited at 2015-03-12 18:56 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually keep strict business hours?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »