Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually keep strict business hours?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's wrong with cats? Mar 12, 2015

John Cutler wrote:

Chris S wrote:
I really don't get all the people on here who claim to work all hours of the day and night and say they have to or they prefer it that way. For me, work is just a means to an end. Life is for living.

The difference is you have a family and they have cats.

I have a human family AND cats and dogs, which are certainly part of the family!

[Edited at 2015-03-12 19:02 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Strict? Business hours? Mar 12, 2015

Different strokes for different folks. I know of a friend, a small business owner (translation company) who would close the door to her home office at 5 p.m. every workday so that she could be with her family. That habit takes discipline, of course.

The good thing about working in-house is that the business hours are fixed, plus overtime, which gets paid (at least here in America; in Europe, I don't know).

The bad thing about working as an independent translator at home
... See more
Different strokes for different folks. I know of a friend, a small business owner (translation company) who would close the door to her home office at 5 p.m. every workday so that she could be with her family. That habit takes discipline, of course.

The good thing about working in-house is that the business hours are fixed, plus overtime, which gets paid (at least here in America; in Europe, I don't know).

The bad thing about working as an independent translator at home is that the notion of business hours goes out the window, as indicated by the variety of working hours so many poll respondents have shared.

I just finished 79,300 words for a civil engineering project (English to Spanish) in five days, including last Sunday and one 17-hour day. It was intense, I probably worked 60 billable hours this week.

I used to have a cat. He was my pal, a fun companion. Now he's with another family, but I don't think I could do this much work myself if I had a wife or significant other, plus kids. Definitely a different lifestyle for me.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
German to English
+ ...
food for thought (Chris S) Mar 13, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I really don't get all the people on here who claim to work all hours of the day and night and say they have to or they prefer it that way. For me, work is just a means to an end. Life is for living.

It depends what "all hours" means. It can mean being a slave to every customer's wishes day and night, in which case I agree with you. It can also mean taking the freedom to do things at times that you choose, and making a choice with every translation request that comes in. In the latter case we have lives, and life is still for the living.

I don't like the 9 - 5 hours or that kind of routine. I find it oppressive. So if I were to adopt those kinds of hours, some of the quality of life that I presently enjoy would go missing. Otoh, making sure that you have the time to rest and the time for leisure and for friends and family are very important. It just doesn't have to be at those particular hours.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:52
English to Polish
+ ...
Nope Mar 22, 2015

I may go for a walk or beer at like 5 o'clock if there's nothing urgent to do, but I don't have business hours otherwise. Only clients are not expected to call me outside of normal, polite hours for that sort of thing unless it's really urgent or beneficial to me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually keep strict business hours?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »