Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you regularly work with more than one CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 11, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you regularly work with more than one CAT tool?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nadine Epstein. View the poll results »

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:25
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Mar 11, 2015

Trados Studio and memoQ

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Yes Mar 11, 2015

- Trados 2007 (Workbench in Word or TagEditor) for small jobs to avoid the overhead of project creation, a step that really really annoys me
- MemoQ 2013 for larger jobs when project creation can actually be useful, together with easy glossary building and QA checks
- a customer-specific tool for that customer's jobs.

I also own SDL Trados 2009, but to show off only.

Philippe

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 11, 2015

I use WF Classic (after a fashion) for most texts. I also have Dragon NS, but I'm not sure if it is classed as a CAT tool per se. Then again, it's on my Computer, and it Assists me, and it's a Tool, so I suppose it must be.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Mar 11, 2015

Good old Studio 2011/2014 and Across

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2015

I have got to the point where you can't teach this old dog a lot of new tricks.

To put it another way, you have to convince me that it is worth the effort, and I can do all the useful tricks I think I need with the one CAT tool I have.

The regular routines and shortcuts come automatically, and that is crucial with a CAT tool, or else it is more trouble than it is worth. If you have to spend all your time thinking about the mechanics, then it is a pain, not a help, and t
... See more
I have got to the point where you can't teach this old dog a lot of new tricks.

To put it another way, you have to convince me that it is worth the effort, and I can do all the useful tricks I think I need with the one CAT tool I have.

The regular routines and shortcuts come automatically, and that is crucial with a CAT tool, or else it is more trouble than it is worth. If you have to spend all your time thinking about the mechanics, then it is a pain, not a help, and that is why some people hate CATs of all kinds. With a comfortable routine, you can concentrate on translating...

If it is just an extension of touch-typing (or as near as I can get to touch-typing), then you can do a lot with it, and there are LOTS of ways it helps, even if it doesn't actually speed up the process all in all.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2015

One at a time is more than enough for me

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Mar 11, 2015

My own CAT tool is Wordfast PRO, but two of my best clients use MemoQ and given me free licence, so I use that one too.

Richard Lackey (X)
Richard Lackey (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just one now Mar 11, 2015

Studio 2014, but previously I used WF Classic and Pro.

I think it's just easier to have all of my resources in one place: TMs, Termbases, etc. However, I wouldn't mind trying other programmes and have considered trying out MemoQ.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
One Mar 11, 2015

The tool you use is basically the tool that customers/clients want you to use or the one most prevailing in the market.

Since Trados is the standard tool of use over here in Japan - SDL cornered this market nicely - I use this. However, I am not adverse to learning new tools if mastering them will bring in more and better paying work.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:25
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2015

I only use Trados Studio 2014. It's not brilliant but it's a pretty comprehensive piece of software.

Klára Kalamár
Klára Kalamár  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:25
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Mar 11, 2015

Trados Studio and Déjà Vu

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yep Mar 11, 2015

I use Studio 2009 (for 95% of my work) and WF Classic for some small jobs. WF Classic saved my life recently when dealing with a very tight deadline. Studio 2009 started malfunctioning (it didn't convert the full document into the target, after 6 pages it all appeared as source no matter what I did) so I had to export the TM into .tmx and run the whole document with WF. It was pretty neat.

So I believe if you're dealing with CATs, you have to manage more than one, just to be sure.... See more
I use Studio 2009 (for 95% of my work) and WF Classic for some small jobs. WF Classic saved my life recently when dealing with a very tight deadline. Studio 2009 started malfunctioning (it didn't convert the full document into the target, after 6 pages it all appeared as source no matter what I did) so I had to export the TM into .tmx and run the whole document with WF. It was pretty neat.

So I believe if you're dealing with CATs, you have to manage more than one, just to be sure.

I also use the aligment tool in Fluency. It is the most convenient one I've found so far.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Or... Mar 11, 2015

Alberto Montpellier wrote:

So I believe if you're dealing with CATs, you have to manage more than one, just to be sure.

On the other hand, you could just keep your software up to date.

Studio 2014 is way better (faster, more flexible) than 2011, let alone 2009.

I also use the aligment tool in Fluency. It is the most convenient one I've found so far.

Align Factory Light (paid) is very robust and does everything I want an alignment tool to do. Olifant can also be useful for fiddling around with TMXs. But it all depends on what you need to do.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Three Mar 12, 2015

Most of the time and always I can choose, I use Wordfast Pro, the best in my modest opinion.

I have two clients with whom I use Memsource, which is a free, simple and efficient tool.

When I have no choice (¡not a single one!), I use Trados Studio 2011 or Trados 2007, both annoying and a source of problems. Not mentioning TagEditor the Terrible, which some of my clients think I really use, when actually I import its files to Wordfast Pro, safe my time without bugs, and
... See more
Most of the time and always I can choose, I use Wordfast Pro, the best in my modest opinion.

I have two clients with whom I use Memsource, which is a free, simple and efficient tool.

When I have no choice (¡not a single one!), I use Trados Studio 2011 or Trados 2007, both annoying and a source of problems. Not mentioning TagEditor the Terrible, which some of my clients think I really use, when actually I import its files to Wordfast Pro, safe my time without bugs, and then send back a TTX file as original.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you regularly work with more than one CAT tool?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »