Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have different CVs for different purposes?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 9, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have different CVs for different purposes?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 9, 2015

I have my résumé on Proz, which I usually send out to potential clients, plus one adapted for editing rather than translation, a bunch of shorter versions for other purposes, one for consultancies, a longer one that emphasizes my academic background in linguistics, and one really long one that includes all my temporary assignments, all my book-length translations, all my grants, all my publications, and all the books I've edited (yet to be posted on my website).

[Edited at 2015-03-09 09
... See more
I have my résumé on Proz, which I usually send out to potential clients, plus one adapted for editing rather than translation, a bunch of shorter versions for other purposes, one for consultancies, a longer one that emphasizes my academic background in linguistics, and one really long one that includes all my temporary assignments, all my book-length translations, all my grants, all my publications, and all the books I've edited (yet to be posted on my website).

[Edited at 2015-03-09 09:02 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 9, 2015

As far as I can recall, I have one in English and one in Spanish, perhaps one in French too. I can always tweak one if need be, but I'm getting to the age where its kind of pointless - most clients come to me by word of mouth and don't usually require a CV.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 9, 2015

One in each of my working languages: English, German and Spanish and online versions of these which contain less personal information for seecurity reasons

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:22
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Uh-huh Mar 9, 2015

One for me the translator and one for me the subtitler.

Cristina Meloni
Cristina Meloni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Mar 9, 2015

One for each specific job role

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:22
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
2 Mar 9, 2015

One for work purposes, another specifically for academic realm.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 9, 2015

I quit having CVs when I went self-employed...

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Mar 9, 2015

and I cannot really understand why one should have?

Nothing has really changed in my CV over the past 20 years and I do not give and references either.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
The CV Mar 9, 2015

Here in America, a properly prepared CV will have a) no photo, b) no personal information other than name, address, email and website, and c) work history no older than your most recent 10 years.

I, like Michael, have more than 20 years of experience working as a translator. However, I stopped showing all I've done in the last 24 years because it's counterproductive for American companies and customers.

I used to have a CV in Spanish, but I only used it when I was in Ar
... See more
Here in America, a properly prepared CV will have a) no photo, b) no personal information other than name, address, email and website, and c) work history no older than your most recent 10 years.

I, like Michael, have more than 20 years of experience working as a translator. However, I stopped showing all I've done in the last 24 years because it's counterproductive for American companies and customers.

I used to have a CV in Spanish, but I only used it when I was in Argentina as an expat for two years.

I started customizing my CV as a more compact and informative infographic in 2012. Why? I am a part-time graphic designer (focus on typography, actually) and there is information that absorbs more easily if presented visually.

I also started to customize my CV for different markets: medical translations, translation teaching, financial translations, etc. Here in America, using a carefully targeted CV is important, and using a CV that contains information relevant to your potential customer or prospective employer is key to stand above the frenzied waters of wanna be translators and bilingual professionals.

You may all see my infographic CV here: http://www.wordsmeet.com/what-ive-done/
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No ... Mar 9, 2015

I have a bascially one CV in the languages I work in English, Greek and Dutch. I also don't use it very often.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:22
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Mar 9, 2015

I used to, but not any more.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
6 versions in all Mar 9, 2015

One for being a translator, in 3 working languages; the other for TEFL, also in 3 languages.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Freelancers versus employees Mar 9, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

I certainly don't disagree, but that "rule" only applies to CVs/resumes for those looking for salaried jobs.

I started customizing my CV as a more compact and informative infographic in 2012. Why? I am a part-time graphic designer (focus on typography, actually) and there is information that absorbs more easily if presented visually.

And why not? A freelancer's CV doesn't have to obey any rules. The only reason we (most of us, anyway) call it a CV is that all agency clients use the word.

Here in America, using a carefully targeted CV is important, and using a CV that contains information relevant to your potential customer or prospective employer is key to stand above the frenzied waters of wanna be translators and bilingual professionals.

Again, that isn't only true of the US - it's true of every freelancer's CV anywhere in the world. The very worst mistake a freelancer can make is to send a "job-seeker's CV" to potential clients, with its inevitable "You're the boss!" message.

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several Mar 9, 2015

I have several in English for different fields of expertise and related experience.

I only have one in Spanish, another in French, and a couple of Catalan.

Sometimes I wish I could do with only one or two at the most.

Any tips?

Natalia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have different CVs for different purposes?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »