Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have different CVs for different purposes?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your CV should target your client's needs Mar 9, 2015

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

I have several in English for different fields of expertise and related experience.

I only have one in Spanish, another in French, and a couple of Catalan.

Sometimes I wish I could do with only one or two at the most.

Any tips?

Natalia

The best advice I can share is to build your CV with your client's needs in mind. Putting hobbies or school activities unrelated to what your client is seeking is counterproductive, takes up space and puts off prospects.

You don't have to have one CV for every language you are competent in as a translator.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 9, 2015

Aside from English and Spanish versions, I also have one focused primarily on my video game projects and another for my commercial/legal projects. Neither group would take me seriously if they knew about the other ^_^

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:18
English to Polish
+ ...
Not normally Mar 22, 2015

Not normally, but that's a sound business practice. There is a common belief in cutting down what's not strictly necessary and giving targeted exposure to what's more relevant. Not my cup of tea, but it has its uses.

However, I don't use canned cover letters, even if I use a standard CV.

Mario Chavez wrote:

Your CV should target your client's needs

On the other hand, you shouldn't presume that you know everything about your client's needs, nor should you exclude your client's interests or potential areas of interest. Relevance and focus on the client's needs is a useful guide but not a dogma.

[Edited at 2015-03-22 11:41 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have different CVs for different purposes?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »