Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you request that outsourcers acknowledge the receipt of your finished project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:02
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not usually necessary, but ... Mar 3, 2015

As Sheila Wilson wrote:

How can you sign off a job, mentally if not in writing, if you don't have receipt of delivery? What evidence do you have to the contrary if the client refuses to pay the invoice, saying that the file(s) never arrived (unless your work is available publicly)?

Most acknowledgements are just replies to my mail with the files, with a smiley or Thanks and an automatic signature. That is quite enough.

From one client I get a message from the server when I upload, that specified files have been delivered. However, the PMs usually send a line as well.

Occasionally direct private clients do not react until I send the invoice, but in that case I send it quickly, starting my mail with 'I assume the translation was satisfactory' ...
But most acknowledge delivery.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 11:02
Japanese to English
Usually don't have to Mar 3, 2015

Most of my client acknowledge receipt on their own, but if I haven't heard anything within 24 hours (longer if it's a weekend) I might send an email just to check that everything is fine. I almost never have to do that, though.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not usually ... Mar 3, 2015

Mostly my clients send it anyway.
I usually do check that a translation has been received if I didn't receive an acknowledgement the next day or if I had sent the translation when I knew the recipent was on holiday or wa otu of the office, due to time difference or an OOO or similar.

[Edited at 2015-03-03 14:11 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 3, 2015

I don't usually "require" my client's to acknowledge receipt of finished jobs, but I appreciate it when they do. Even if it's only a blank e-mail with "received OK" in the subject header, like my own replies upon receipt of their documents.

I may occasionally add " please confirm receipt" when I deliver translated documents if the client has designated them urgent, but not every time.

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
not always necessary Mar 3, 2015

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

Most of my clients do that anyway, but I do ask for confirmation if they don't have such a habit.

Exactly.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:02
German to English
+ ...
Always, because... Mar 3, 2015

It can happen that the translation does not arrive because of a glitch on the Net. You want your client to have a finished translation early enough that if they have any questions you can deal with them. And of course you want your client to have the translation early enough that he doesn't panic when it hasn't arrived (because of some glitch in the system neither are you aware of).

Acknowledgment of receipt is also for your own protection because it is proof that you have fulfill
... See more
It can happen that the translation does not arrive because of a glitch on the Net. You want your client to have a finished translation early enough that if they have any questions you can deal with them. And of course you want your client to have the translation early enough that he doesn't panic when it hasn't arrived (because of some glitch in the system neither are you aware of).

Acknowledgment of receipt is also for your own protection because it is proof that you have fulfilled your contract, and when it was received. This is especially important for new, unknown clients.

One of my regular clients simply writes "Noted with thanks." any time they receive a translation. I often don't ask for acknowledgment of receipt in this case, since I always get it. If the "noted" is ever missing, then I check.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That's exactly it Mar 4, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
Acknowledgment of receipt is also for your own protection because it is proof that you have fulfilled your contract, and when it was received. This is especially important for new, unknown clients.

One of my regular clients simply writes "Noted with thanks." any time they receive a translation. I often don't ask for acknowledgment of receipt in this case, since I always get it. If the "noted" is ever missing, then I check.

Of course, if a regular client confirms receipt in every case then there's no need to ask for it in every delivery. But you must make sure it gets confirmed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you request that outsourcers acknowledge the receipt of your finished project?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »