Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have a dedicated website to promote your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kudzai Munedzimwe
Kudzai Munedzimwe
Zimbabwe
Local time: 18:36
English to NdebeleNorth
+ ...
Will get one soon Mar 2, 2015

I will get a website setup very soon

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two! Mar 2, 2015

I have one for my normal translation work, and another for my video game translation projects. That's where my blog is, too.

Just like all the social media stuff and any other kind of marketing, you can't just make a site and let it sit there. It needs to be updated, optimized and professional - otherwise it's useless. I am currently doing all of my marketing through Facebook, Twitter, my blog, and YouTube. It works. I am finding a lot of projects that I really enjoy and clients th
... See more
I have one for my normal translation work, and another for my video game translation projects. That's where my blog is, too.

Just like all the social media stuff and any other kind of marketing, you can't just make a site and let it sit there. It needs to be updated, optimized and professional - otherwise it's useless. I am currently doing all of my marketing through Facebook, Twitter, my blog, and YouTube. It works. I am finding a lot of projects that I really enjoy and clients that really appreciate my work.

I have some YouTube videos on how to make a free website if anyone wants to watch them. I have completed the tutorial for one of the tools, Weebly, and I'm working on the next tool, Wix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoG0yrFH9Cw&list=PLgAqFoQC3_lNlaTze6pRmNCXeYPB6RInu
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Awe-inspiring question Mar 2, 2015

This question is so opportune that I'll file it along with other questions:

Do you have a brain to think?
Do you get up in the morning feet first?

On the other hand, I bet some of our colleagues still use the yellow pages because that's the best local resource for businesses out there. Why spend money on a Swatch wristwatch if a Casio version from Wal-Mart will do?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but Mar 3, 2015

I don't think it's necessary any more. You do need some kind of on-line presence, but I don't think a website is essential any longer.

It's useful to show potential clients that you are serious and professional (but a nice profile page on ProZ or elsewhere could do the same).

Unless you want to invest a lot in SEO and marketing and/or you translate for a niche specialty, you really won't get much if any traffic to or business from your website, at least in my experience
... See more
I don't think it's necessary any more. You do need some kind of on-line presence, but I don't think a website is essential any longer.

It's useful to show potential clients that you are serious and professional (but a nice profile page on ProZ or elsewhere could do the same).

Unless you want to invest a lot in SEO and marketing and/or you translate for a niche specialty, you really won't get much if any traffic to or business from your website, at least in my experience.

[Edited at 2015-03-03 01:33 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proz ain't LinkedIn or Behance Mar 3, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Unless you want to invest a lot in SEO and marketing and/or you translate for a niche specialty, you really won't get much if any traffic to or business from your website, at least in my experience.

[Edited at 2015-03-03 01:33 GMT]

Perhaps this is news to you, but there are platforms out there that allow for a translator to show off his/her portfolio of translations. I use my own website to have a rotating portfolio, even by specialization.

But please, please, don't even attempt to put Proz on the same level as a “serious and professional” site with a large reach. For that, translators or not, LinkedIn seems to be unbeatable.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 3, 2015

The link is: www.murieltranslations.com

I've had it for 8 years and it yielded the best client I've ever had.

I like to include the link under my signature when I start communicating with new clients. For one thing, it shows that I'm a serious translator. New clients sometimes ask me if I'm a "full-time translator". They want to be sure it's not just a hobby.

I als
... See more
The link is: www.murieltranslations.com

I've had it for 8 years and it yielded the best client I've ever had.

I like to include the link under my signature when I start communicating with new clients. For one thing, it shows that I'm a serious translator. New clients sometimes ask me if I'm a "full-time translator". They want to be sure it's not just a hobby.

I also use the site to post the scads of articles I've written about translation. I'm not totally pleased with the look, but I'm so picky that I'd probably never be satisfied.

In addition, I have a site for the memoir I wrote, "Finding My Invincible Summer": www.findingmyinvinciblesummer.com.

[Edited at 2015-03-03 04:50 GMT]
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:36
English
+ ...
No. I use my Mar 6, 2015

Proz profile as my website and it seems to work quite well. My best clients have contacted me through it.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:36
English to Polish
+ ...
Yeah Mar 22, 2015

Yes, but it isn't really a standard promo job. I don't believe in pitching.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a dedicated website to promote your business?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »