Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you accept jobs from clients even if you can't find much information about their reputation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ivan Videnov
Ivan Videnov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:11
English to French
Sixth sense Feb 23, 2015

I must agree with the sixth sense statement. Sometimes, clients don't have a website or any other pertinent information available over the Web, but that doesn't mean they are not worthy of our services!
Other times, they may have websites and all the bells and whistles, but when you listen to that sixth sense of yours, you realize that... something is not right.

I think the best way to summarize this would be: Don't judge a book by its cover. No matter if that cover is full of
... See more
I must agree with the sixth sense statement. Sometimes, clients don't have a website or any other pertinent information available over the Web, but that doesn't mean they are not worthy of our services!
Other times, they may have websites and all the bells and whistles, but when you listen to that sixth sense of yours, you realize that... something is not right.

I think the best way to summarize this would be: Don't judge a book by its cover. No matter if that cover is full of shiny glitters or if it is a blank page.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:41
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Feb 24, 2015

To tell the truth, I know next to nothing about any of the clients I have been working for years. During the course of your work you only get to know one or two POs of your clients. So a lot of this based on mutual trust. Fortunately, I have had little occasion so far (touch wood) to regret the trusts I have reposed on my clients.

I do look up the blueboard for new clients and look into their website, if that is available. That is about all the research I do on my clients. Over the
... See more
To tell the truth, I know next to nothing about any of the clients I have been working for years. During the course of your work you only get to know one or two POs of your clients. So a lot of this based on mutual trust. Fortunately, I have had little occasion so far (touch wood) to regret the trusts I have reposed on my clients.

I do look up the blueboard for new clients and look into their website, if that is available. That is about all the research I do on my clients. Over the years I have identified geographical areas which can support the kind of rates I charge. I only respond to requests from clients from these areas. With clients in low-rate areas it always descends into a discussion on reducing your rates, which I certainly don't want to get into. So to save time on both sides, I use the trash button to kill these emails without further ado.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you accept jobs from clients even if you can't find much information about their reputation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »