Poll: Do your clients usually provide feedback on your translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 22, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do your clients usually provide feedback on your translations?".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:08
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Feb 22, 2015

Very infrequently

They might provide feedback if I have left questions or comments in the documents I have delivered.

With translation, if you do get 'feedback,' generally it won't be a pat on the back - it will be of a negative nature. The old adage "No news is good news." really does apply to our profession.

Small edit

[Edited at 2015-02-23 06:31 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost never Feb 22, 2015

I answered "No." However, the rare "kudoz" that come my way are complimentary, so I don't lose sleep over it. One client spontaneously increased my rate two years in a row. That's the kind of feedback that matters.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 00:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Further work = positive feedback Feb 22, 2015

There is no better way for a client to give positive feedback!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes Feb 22, 2015

No change whatsoever since the last time this question was asked:

See more
No change whatsoever since the last time this question was asked:

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/271675-poll_do_you_request_feedback_on_your_services_from_your_clients.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/259531-poll_do_you_receive_feedback_from_your_customers.html

Getting repeat work from clients is the best feedback I ever received! But a pat on the back doesn't hurt once in a while...

[Edited at 2015-02-22 11:22 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends on the client Feb 22, 2015

Two of my clients always provide feedback, while the only "feedback" my other clients provide is sending me more projects.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not often Feb 22, 2015

Not usually. However, the other week one client's US office mentioned that some of the texts I do for them in international English "weren't quite as good as they could be"... So, I asked a US English speaker to revise one text for me before delivering it to the client (I sometimes do this anyway), but the whole exercise was so time-consuming for me that I told the client that if I had to do this systematically, I would need to put my fees up by 25%. I suggested the best option would be for the... See more
Not usually. However, the other week one client's US office mentioned that some of the texts I do for them in international English "weren't quite as good as they could be"... So, I asked a US English speaker to revise one text for me before delivering it to the client (I sometimes do this anyway), but the whole exercise was so time-consuming for me that I told the client that if I had to do this systematically, I would need to put my fees up by 25%. I suggested the best option would be for them to either get someone in their US office to tweak the texts to make them more suitable for their target public, or else outsource this work. They agreed, which takes some of the pressure off me. However, the other day I was disappointed to find that they seem to have taken it upon themselves to publish texts they have written on their own, which in my view could be improved.

I occasionally get feedback telling me when a translated or revised article is published, but apart from that it is a rare occurrence and most clients just seem to take it for granted that the translation delivered will be up to scratch.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Feb 22, 2015

not a lot.
But as long as my best clients keep coming back and I have plenty of work, who cares?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not much feedback Feb 22, 2015

But apparently they like my work, because they keep giving me more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your clients usually provide feedback on your translations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »