Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you think that freelance translators are mostly introverts?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 15, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think that freelance translators are mostly introverts?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 04:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2015

If I did think so, I'd be short-sighted to say the least. I think most "normal" people can be introvert or extrovert, or behave as such, as the occasion demands.

For example, someone deemed "introverted" may become life and soul of the party after a few drinks... or vice versa.

[Edited at 2015-02-15 08:44 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
To a point Feb 15, 2015

I said 'Other'. I don't think extroverted people are comfortable sitting still for long hours the way we do, nor do they have the required capacity for long-term concentration. On the other hand, most translators have very active lives outside their work.

One of my colleagues used to say that successful translators typically have a hobby or sport that they pursue in addition to their work--that being well-rounded makes them better translators. I used to believe her, but now I'm cha
... See more
I said 'Other'. I don't think extroverted people are comfortable sitting still for long hours the way we do, nor do they have the required capacity for long-term concentration. On the other hand, most translators have very active lives outside their work.

One of my colleagues used to say that successful translators typically have a hobby or sport that they pursue in addition to their work--that being well-rounded makes them better translators. I used to believe her, but now I'm changing my mind. The more intensively we work, the better we become at what we do. We are better at something we do full-time than something we do part-time.

Maybe we should start by defining 'introvert'!

[Edited at 2015-02-15 09:07 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2015

I hate generalizations and stereotypical thinking in general. I must say though that I changed with age: I was an extrovert and I'm rather an introvert person now...

[Edited at 2015-02-15 17:21 GMT]

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Greater proportion Feb 15, 2015

I would say that there is a greater proportion of introverts among translators than among other professions, but it is by no means the rule.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Other Feb 15, 2015

This:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I hate generalizations and stereotypical thinking in general.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:17
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
others, others, others... Feb 15, 2015

I think people are complex and do not fit to a simple yes or no.

Besides, someone's personality is bigger (and earlier) than their work as translator or whatever.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Feb 15, 2015

Not all, but I do find that translators tend to be quiet, reflective and more reserved people.

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Pehaps Feb 15, 2015

Just more reserved.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
It's hard to deny..... Feb 15, 2015

....that this profession is quite well suited to introverts (working alone, at home, little to no social interaction necessary etc.) and undoubtedly appeals to them. However, what conclusions you draw from that and whether introverts constitute a majority is highly debatable.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
I was going to say yes... Feb 15, 2015

But I remembered that I spent all day yesterday talking to clients, colleagues and friends that I obtained through work. I might just be the most social person I know.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Introversion vs. extroversion Feb 15, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

....that this profession is quite well suited to introverts (working alone, at home, little to no social interaction necessary etc.) and undoubtedly appeals to them. However, what conclusions you draw from that and whether introverts constitute a majority is highly debatable.

That's a thoughtful comment, Ty. As a staunch introvert, I agree. But I don't want to pigeonhole anyone or any profession into one specific personality mold.

This discussion could benefit from additional comments revealing how much we know about introversion and extroversion, since there is confusion even among educated people out there. For example, many confuse introversion with shyness or lack of vocal participation in meetings, etc.

If any of you met me in public, you would never peg me as an introvert. Many introverts learn to switch to their extrovert mode when in public, teaching, talking to clients or being in interviews. Even so, some introverts do enjoy being with people as they break from their concentration routines.

As for me, I'm what they would call an extreme introvert.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2015

As is the case in any given profession, there are introverts and there are extroverts. A profession per se doesn't offer sufficient ground to jump to conclusions regarding the professional's character.

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
why on earth would they be? Feb 15, 2015

I actually don't know a single translator personally who is an introvert.

Carine

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
More than you know Feb 15, 2015

Anne-Carine Zimmer wrote:

I actually don't know a single translator personally who is an introvert.

Carine

Maybe the introverts you know are just acting extroverted for your benefit.

Introverts are not social butterflies; they enjoy solitude, not working with people. They draw their energy from thinking, living in their heads, not by mingling or being with people on a daily basis.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think that freelance translators are mostly introverts?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »