Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think that freelance translators are mostly introverts?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:58
English to German
+ ...
No Feb 15, 2015

Obviously there are those who feel most at ease working on their own and keeping to themselves. But think of all those others who enjoy networking with colleagues, attending workshops and seminars, visiting trade fairs or conferences to actively acquire new direct customers and last, but not least, I know quite a few translators who also work as interpreters.

My view may however be biased by the fact that the majority of translator colleagues I know face to face are the ones who lik
... See more
Obviously there are those who feel most at ease working on their own and keeping to themselves. But think of all those others who enjoy networking with colleagues, attending workshops and seminars, visiting trade fairs or conferences to actively acquire new direct customers and last, but not least, I know quite a few translators who also work as interpreters.

My view may however be biased by the fact that the majority of translator colleagues I know face to face are the ones who like getting together and that the ones who don't like socializing tend to keep away...
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
German to English
+ ...
People are individuals Feb 15, 2015

It is impossible to make any judgment about the personality of thousands or millions of people that we have never met or even know about. Freelance translators are people who are proficient in at least two languages, know how to translate, and work in a self-employed situation. Those are things that we can know for sure.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
French to English
+ ...
Yes (qualified!) Feb 15, 2015

I attended a fascinating presentation on this subject last year, specifically geared to translators and in the straw poll we conducted, based on a questionnaire, it seemed a majority of us were indeed introverts, although there was a surprising range of answers. I've written about it here if anyone ... See more
I attended a fascinating presentation on this subject last year, specifically geared to translators and in the straw poll we conducted, based on a questionnaire, it seemed a majority of us were indeed introverts, although there was a surprising range of answers. I've written about it here if anyone wants to know more: https://clairecoxtranslations.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/who-do-you-think-you-are-adapting-your-psychological-profile-to-your-approach-to-work/

It seems the main defining feature of an introvert is someone who draws their energy from themselves, whereas an extrovert draws their energy from other people. Of course, we're all different, and many of us have a mix of characteristics, but much as I enjoy networking, attending conferences, etc, I know I need to allow myself time out, on my own, afterwards to recharge my batteries or I start to feel very stressed!
Collapse

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 13:58
Russian to German
+ ...
No Feb 15, 2015

I don't think that "happy to work alone" = "introvert", at least it doesn't hold true for me.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, Feb 16, 2015

Alhough we do have a reduced social life, I'm not, and I don't think most translators I know are (not at all). Plus, we end up doing some interpretation, even if we are not specialized, and that does not allow introspection.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:28
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Introverts are elusive Feb 16, 2015

Anne-Carine Zimmer wrote:

I actually don't know a single translator personally who is an introvert.

Carine

That is understandable because obviously the introvert translators kept to themselves!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:28
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I answered yes Feb 16, 2015

I know the pitfalls of generalizing on the basis of one's own personal traits, but I think this is more true than people like to admit - translators do constitute a breed of introverts. It can't be otherwise - not only does our work require us to be alone, before a computer, for long hours of the day (and often night, too), but also the whole process of training and preparation of a translator requires solo effort - the reading of umpteen books, the struggle with the grammar and nuances of two l... See more
I know the pitfalls of generalizing on the basis of one's own personal traits, but I think this is more true than people like to admit - translators do constitute a breed of introverts. It can't be otherwise - not only does our work require us to be alone, before a computer, for long hours of the day (and often night, too), but also the whole process of training and preparation of a translator requires solo effort - the reading of umpteen books, the struggle with the grammar and nuances of two languages, the mastering of a vast vocabulary in more than one language, the constant pressure to familiarize oneself with varied subjects in which one translates - all these require one to substantially withdraw from fellow humans and go into a lonely dungeon.

Also, if a person were not sufficiently introvert and craved for human company, he would soon give up when faced with the mandatory loneliness inherent in the above mentioned tasks and would abandon translation, or at best become a bad translator.

Add to it the maladjustment of childhood which is a fact of life of many translators, particularly the ones who are truly bilingual - which is an indication that they were uprooted from one linguistic culture and planted into another in their childhood, thus making a mess of their childhood, and sowing the seeds of a future life of an introvert - and you have the recipe complete.

The only exceptions I can think of are interpretors who perforce have to move among people to pursue their career.

This would also perhaps explain the often noticed fact that many translators make poor businessmen - in terms of setting remunerative rates for their services, in dealing with clients, in marketing themselves, in handling business emergencies and so on - as evidenced by the avalanche of rants we see in these forums. Business success requires a measure of self-confidence and extrovertism, which sadly many translators, including myself, lack.

[Edited at 2015-02-16 03:31 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Generalizations Feb 16, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I know the pitfalls of generalizing on the basis of one's own personal traits, but I think this is more true than people like to admit - translators do constitute a breed of introverts. It can't be otherwise - not only does our work require us to be alone, before a computer, for long hours of the day (and often night, too), but also the whole process of training and preparation of a translator requires solo effort - the reading of umpteen books, the struggle with the grammar and nuances of two languages, the mastering of a vast vocabulary in more than one language, the constant pressure to familiarize oneself with varied subjects in which one translates - all these require one to substantially withdraw from fellow humans and go into a lonely dungeon.

Also, if a person were not sufficiently introvert and craved for human company, he would soon give up when faced with the mandatory loneliness inherent in the above mentioned tasks and would abandon translation, or at best become a bad translator.

Add to it the maladjustment of childhood which is a fact of life of many translators, particularly the ones who are truly bilingual - which is an indication that they were uprooted from one linguistic culture and planted into another in their childhood, thus making a mess of their childhood, and sowing the seeds of a future life of an introvert - and you have the recipe complete.

The only exceptions I can think of are interpretors who perforce have to move among people to pursue their career.

This would also perhaps explain the often noticed fact that many translators make poor businessmen - in terms of setting remunerative rates for their services, in dealing with clients, in marketing themselves, in handling business emergencies and so on - as evidenced by the avalanche of rants we see in these forums. Business success requires a measure of self-confidence and extrovertism, which sadly many translators, including myself, lack.

[Edited at 2015-02-16 03:31 GMT]

Sorry, but attributing bilingualism to childhood maladjustment is not only inaccurate but a bit narrow in view. You can't extrapolate based on your own experiences. In Europe, for example, there are many bilingual children because two languages are spoken at home. No maladjustment there.

There is no such thing as mandatory loneliness in the life of a translator, introvert or otherwise. Let's not go with sweeping generalizations as they do not do justice to anyone.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 14:58
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
. Feb 16, 2015

Anne-Carine Zimmer wrote:

I actually don't know a single translator personally who is an introvert.

Carine

That's a smart one, Carine
Gave me my morning dose of laughter

Edited to say that I answered Yes. I do "think" that there are more introverts among translators than extroverts.

[Edited at 2015-02-16 08:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think that freelance translators are mostly introverts?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »