Poll: Do you ever have dreams about the projects you are working on?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 14, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever have dreams about the projects you are working on?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 14, 2015

Not as far as I know, at least not usually. I may have done, but I don't recall. Even if I did, they say it is a normal part of the brain's function, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Feb 14, 2015

Yes, occasionally, never about the subject in itself (God forbid as I have been translating mostly medical devices for some time now!), but about cancellations, deadlines and other freelancer “nightmares” even for the more seasoned among us.

I also tend to dream in the source language of the project (I translate mainly from English
... See more
Yes, occasionally, never about the subject in itself (God forbid as I have been translating mostly medical devices for some time now!), but about cancellations, deadlines and other freelancer “nightmares” even for the more seasoned among us.

I also tend to dream in the source language of the project (I translate mainly from English and French). As I told before in another poll (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/243034-poll_do_you_dream_in_your_source_languages-page2.html), I even dreamt once in Japanese (I don't actually speak Japanese: is Freud around somewhere?)…
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Occasionally Feb 14, 2015

Dreams are a psychological safety valve - they let you vent steam when you start boiling over.

Teresa Borges wrote:

I even dreamt once in Japanese ...

Hmm. Interesting, Teresa. Would like to know if you can remember any words.

Unfortunately, I dream in Japanese all the time. Comes with the territory, so to speak.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Unfortunately I can't... Feb 14, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

Dreams are a psychological safety valve - they let you vent steam when you start boiling over.

Teresa Borges wrote:

I even dreamt once in Japanese ...

Hmm. Interesting, Teresa. Would like to know if you can remember any words.

Unfortunately, I dream in Japanese all the time. Comes with the territory, so to speak.

I do remember talking "fluently" to my Japanese client, but please don't ask me what the dialect was... It happened some 10 years back and fortunately I had no relapse. I should probably see a shrink as I also fly a lot in my dreams!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Feb 14, 2015

Not in dreams perhaps, but on occasion I can wake up in the middle of the night and come up with a solution on a project I am working on, and remember it for the next morning.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Frequently Feb 14, 2015

Probably because I tend to work on long-term projects, usually for direct customers with whom I have built up a good relationship I find I become more emotionally involved. Sometimes I dream about the project itself, but often it is just some emotional response triggered by the work. The most common one is when a deadline is approaching and I dream I am being chased by lions!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Somestimes Feb 14, 2015

Though not about translation projects but rather the other work I'm doing.

[Edited at 2015-02-14 18:12 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't remember most of my dreams Feb 14, 2015

... but I have sometimes woken up to find I still have a little time before a deadline, or that some situation was not quite as bad as I thought.

I think, like Henry, I 'dream up' solutions to problems, too. They simply come as I work after a night's sleep, although I am not conscious of them when I wake up. I find I have remembered or worked out something that simply was not there the day before.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2015

I do have dreams with repeated scenes all night long when I do anything for an exaggerated time. It has happened with translations, video games, card games, building stuff at home, and other stuff. If I do anything without taking brakes and for too long into the night, it happens.

Not long ago I dreamt all night long that I was aligning segments, on the night after spending hours of non-stop importing old documents into my TM for almost a week.

[Edited at 2015-02-15 00:07 GMT
... See more
I do have dreams with repeated scenes all night long when I do anything for an exaggerated time. It has happened with translations, video games, card games, building stuff at home, and other stuff. If I do anything without taking brakes and for too long into the night, it happens.

Not long ago I dreamt all night long that I was aligning segments, on the night after spending hours of non-stop importing old documents into my TM for almost a week.

[Edited at 2015-02-15 00:07 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever have dreams about the projects you are working on?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »