Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you accept projects that involve post-editing machine translated content?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:24
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No yet, but expecting it Feb 13, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Let's put it this way: My first choice is human translation, but I would rather postedit the output of a *good* MT system than format and translate a PDF. I would rather postedit a document of running text than hand-translate an academic transcript or a legal certificate. It's all relative.

[Edited at 2015-02-12 09:19 GMT]

This is a market trend, and we probably won't be able to stay away from it for too long. Post-editing is not post-Google Translator anymore. Of course there are many agencies that machine-translate documents and send them to the revisor, excluding the translator from the process. Those are despicable.

But the TM's are growing in size and quality, and the agencies will, of course, pre-translate documents adding all the technical terms they already have in their TM's, already approved by the client, instead of sending it all in the source language for the translator to search for a term the agency already knows how to translate, and the translator will possibly use a term different than the one already approved by the client.

So what we have to do is to have a price for post-editing, somewhere between translating and proofreading, but closer to translating, as your workload tends to be significantly reduced in the near future if you are still reluctant with this new trend of our market.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Mario Feb 14, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

So what we have to do is to have a price for post-editing, somewhere between translating and proofreading, but closer to translating, as your workload tends to be significantly reduced in the near future if you are still reluctant with this new trend of our market.

That's exactly what my client does. The postediting rate is 75% of the "human" rate, and their human rate is very high. The MT rate is higher than what most translators charge. I wouldn't do it for much less. I should have made that clear from the beginning.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you accept projects that involve post-editing machine translated content?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »