Poll: Do you have a minimum order charge?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a minimum order charge?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Blanc. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Feb 8, 2015

Answering e-mails + talking on the phone + discussing details (even on small jobs) + receiving/opening job data + writing e-mail message at delivery + billing/invoicing = all time-consuming actions

My minimum charge is 5,000 yen which is just under 40 Euros just for the hassle even on 1,000 yen jobs.

In fact, I wish I could bill my minimum charge for jobs that do not come through just for the "Answering e-mails + talking on the phone + discussing details (even on small
... See more
Answering e-mails + talking on the phone + discussing details (even on small jobs) + receiving/opening job data + writing e-mail message at delivery + billing/invoicing = all time-consuming actions

My minimum charge is 5,000 yen which is just under 40 Euros just for the hassle even on 1,000 yen jobs.

In fact, I wish I could bill my minimum charge for jobs that do not come through just for the "Answering e-mails + talking on the phone + discussing details (even on small jobs) + receiving/opening job data" aggravation.
If I did, maybe this would deter the more frivolous customers.

No bites tonight. Is everyone shy?

[Edited at 2015-02-09 05:00 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Feb 8, 2015

As I have said before (several polls on a similar topic): I do have a minimum order charge (€40) per client per month, but I only apply the minimum charge to new customers. From a business point of view I find it good to offer a small freebie to my trusted customers...

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:09
German to English
+ ...
Other Feb 8, 2015

Sometimes - for agencies yes, cos I know they do the same; direct clients, generally not; really small jobs are just not worth the hassle of billing so they get them free.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:09
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oops, ticked the wrong box! Feb 8, 2015

My minimum INVOICE amount is EUR 30. For new clients, that's often the ORDER minimum, too. But I invoice regular clients monthly, and they can order individual jobs for less. How much less depends on how streamlined we can make the admin. Sometimes it's EUR 15; one client sends lots of small jobs, many of which I'll only charge at EUR 7.50. But his invoice is alwys into three figures. I don't often give freebies unless I really can't be bothered to spend a few seconds registering the job; the cl... See more
My minimum INVOICE amount is EUR 30. For new clients, that's often the ORDER minimum, too. But I invoice regular clients monthly, and they can order individual jobs for less. How much less depends on how streamlined we can make the admin. Sometimes it's EUR 15; one client sends lots of small jobs, many of which I'll only charge at EUR 7.50. But his invoice is alwys into three figures. I don't often give freebies unless I really can't be bothered to spend a few seconds registering the job; the client can hardly quibble over EUR 7.50!Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Feb 8, 2015

My minimum charge is € 25 and not negotiable.
After income tax, bank fee and administration costs there is hardly anything left.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
US$50.00 Feb 8, 2015

According to xe.com, that's c. EU€45.00
Essentially, I charge $25/page with a minimum of two pages.
After taxes, etc., it's barely worth an hour of my time (time working on the translation, drawing up an invoice, the bookkeeping, administrative tasks, negotiation, etc., etc.), but it's what I charge local immigrants for their birth certs, or whatever, for immigration purposes. It feels like charity work, but I enjoy meeting them and following their stories/progress with immigration
... See more
According to xe.com, that's c. EU€45.00
Essentially, I charge $25/page with a minimum of two pages.
After taxes, etc., it's barely worth an hour of my time (time working on the translation, drawing up an invoice, the bookkeeping, administrative tasks, negotiation, etc., etc.), but it's what I charge local immigrants for their birth certs, or whatever, for immigration purposes. It feels like charity work, but I enjoy meeting them and following their stories/progress with immigration.
Many of them stay in touch and recommend me to their friends who come here, too.
I've helped families from Guinea, Haiti, Cuba, Senegal, Brazil, Mexico, la Republica Dominicana, Peru, Colombia, Guatemala, Chile, etc., etc., met many lovely, fascinating people, so that makes it worth my time, too, I suppose.
These folks don't have a lot of money, in general, but neither do I, and I have a family to feed, too.
I feel like this is fair, and nobody has complained.

[Edited at 2015-02-08 20:57 GMT]
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes - equivalent to 1/2 an hour's work Feb 9, 2015

The actual amount may vary depending on the client/the circumstances, but that's the explanation I give.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a minimum order charge?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »