Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When are you usually most productive?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:24
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other Feb 3, 2015

I am most productive when there is a deadline to chase. Time of day or night does not matter.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 10:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'll second that Muriel Feb 3, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

This happens to be late in the evening.

(I was just about to write those very same words when my 11 year-old appeared in front of me!!)

[Edited at 2015-02-03 13:23 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Morning, afternoon, evening, etc. Feb 3, 2015

Carmen Grabs wrote:

because before I stared as a freelancer my best time would be the morning. Now it is the night. I don't like that but I haven't got a choice, as during the day I constantly have to reply to emails so can't keep a good "flow".

I understand your curiosity, but different people have different best times of the day when they feel at their best. Some are nightowls, others are early risers. It makes no difference.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deadlines Feb 3, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I am most productive when there is a deadline to chase. Time of day or night does not matter.

Here's the thing about the pressure of deadlines. If I have a morning or early afternoon deadline, I usually have the job ready for delivery the night before, because I'm not an early morning person and I hate to be rushing through a job.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:54
English to Italian
early morning Feb 3, 2015

from 6 to 9 I am very productive, from 9am to 1 pm some interruptions, but I am ok... tragedy starts at 2 pm and ends at 4 pm... then I am ok again.. slow but ok

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Late at night Feb 3, 2015

My neighbors make a lot of noise and it's hard to focus with the constant yelling and heavy walking. No one is on Facebook at 2 am, there is nothing interesting going here on Proz, and no one asks me to do anything. I can just sit and translate.

Though, to be honest, my most productive times are when I disconnect the internet prior to working.

absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Afternoon/evening Feb 3, 2015

The day's email is done, coffee consumed, my son has his schoolwork (homeschooled), husband is out the door, etc. So from around noon to 9pm is most productive for me.

I exit my email program, put on an audio book or similar and get cracking.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Night Vs. Day Feb 4, 2015

I wonder why so few people voted in the evening or late at night.
Unless you live in the woods, all by yourself, it makes no sense to prefer the daytime, with all the noise on the streets, from the neighbors, telephones ringing, people watching TV, people interrupting you, other things to do, etc.
At night, there is none of that.
My throughput doubles at night, for sure.
Good night!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:24
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Time zone in the target geography governs my activity Feb 4, 2015

My main market is the US (about 12 hours ahead of my time), and Western Europe (about 5 hours ahead of me). I also get jobs from Japan and Australia (which are several hours behind my time).

I find US and European jobs most comfortable as I get a bonus of 6 to 12 hours on what they consider to be the deadline for the job. With Japan and Australia, the opposite is true. EOB for them would mean an unearthly 6 am for me, and on many occasions I have woken up bleary eyed in the morning
... See more
My main market is the US (about 12 hours ahead of my time), and Western Europe (about 5 hours ahead of me). I also get jobs from Japan and Australia (which are several hours behind my time).

I find US and European jobs most comfortable as I get a bonus of 6 to 12 hours on what they consider to be the deadline for the job. With Japan and Australia, the opposite is true. EOB for them would mean an unearthly 6 am for me, and on many occasions I have woken up bleary eyed in the morning to be confronted by the emails of anxious Japanese PMs demanding what happened to the translation that I had promised to deliver on that day.

So the more crucial criteria governing my activity are not factors that I can control such as the most peaceful time of the day, but in which time zone my client is located. I have learnt to adjust my activity to suit this, which is why I work often at earthly or inconvenient hours of the day.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When are you usually most productive?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »