Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you provide Desktop Publishing (DTP) services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
DTP services Jan 26, 2015

Mustafa Mahmoud wrote:

Thanks folks for sharing your thoughts. I don't do DTP as most of you. But that doesn't include the minor (yet tricky!) format tweaks that I have to do after translation/exporting from a CAT tool, especially that my language pair is bidirectional (English Arabic). I.e., LTR to RTL, and vice versa, which sometimes requires extra effort beyond basic formatting.

However, I was trying to gain some ground by brushing up on my DTP skills to add extra revenue. I took a short course on InDesign CS3, then David Blatner's videos. But that, oh, consumes much much time. And time equals money. It is a catch-22. But I am more inclined to proceed towards translation only, especially that I already have excellent MS Word formatting knowledge. (No brag).

[Edited at 2015-01-26 20:15 GMT]

Thanks for the poll, Mustafa. I'm a believer that a translator needs to enjoy doing DTP and typesetting to provide a reliable and knowledgeable service to his/her clientele. To offer DTP services just to make more money is not the right approach.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Seriously? Jan 27, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

In this day and age when the basics of good design are so easily attainable, it's inexcusable to see a translator think that one font is as good as the next for any given text.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you provide Desktop Publishing (DTP) services?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »