Poll: Do you work while traveling?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 23, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work while traveling?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 23, 2015

I prefer to concentrate on my driving

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:14
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Jan 23, 2015

if I am not driving. But when I fly or am in a train, yes, definately

By the way, @Chris, have you been inundated with jobs since you pimped your photo;-)

[Edited at 2015-01-23 12:20 GMT]

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 23, 2015

I work on both flights and trains as I usually travel on my own. I find it makes the journey much shorter. I do make an extra thorough check at a later point in time if there is no internet connection on board and mark anything that I am not sure of.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Jan 23, 2015

As I said before (2 very similar quick poll questions posted in July last year and in October 2012), I travel a lot (at least once a month) between Brussels and Lisbon for family reasons and I find it's the most fruitful way to pass the time in airport waiting areas...

[Edited at 2015-01-23 09:14 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 23, 2015

I've occasionally passed the waiting times involved in travelling by working. For example, on the way back home this new year I managed to finish and send off a short translation in the one-hour's free wifi available in the airport. It's more lucrative than just sitting there twiddling your thumbs.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 12:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Jan 23, 2015

No, the furthest I ever travel nowadays is the 80-odd km to the capital of this island nation, Nicosia, and if I do so, it is because I am taking a day off. Work and travel do not mix in my opinion.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Working makes travelling bearable Jan 23, 2015

Like Neil, I find it difficult to twiddle my thumbs during the long waiting periods enforced by air travel, and while on the plane itself. And I appreciate the lack of interruption that a long train journey affords me.

Willeke Barens
Willeke Barens  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
office in Harvey the RV Jan 23, 2015

I travel several months a year in my motorhome - with my wolfhounds - and have made my office in there so I can work at the nicest possible locations! In the days when I was flying a lot, I would always work on the plane and at airports and yes, sometimes in hotels as well... even in Vegas!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Michael Jan 23, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

if I am not driving. But when I fly or am in a train, yes, definately

By the way, @Chris, have you been inundated with jobs since you pimped your photo;-)

[Edited at 2015-01-23 12:20 GMT]

No, but I'm having to beat off modelling agencies with a stick

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes I do Jan 23, 2015

If I'm on a tight or close-to-tight deadline, or if it's an interesting job, I work while travelling.
Otherwise I just take the travelling time to read, listen to music or just do nothing. Lazing is a healthy thing if practiced with moderation

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 23, 2015

SOmetimes, but I usually read other info.

TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:14
English to French
Not real work Jan 23, 2015

I usually just check and respond to urgent emails.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:14
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Supposing the asker meant Jan 23, 2015

When you are away from home, not specifically during the trip. And also supposing the asker is not talking about business trips, otherwise this question is one more poorly devised question for the huge collection.

No, I don't even take my notebook with me when I travel, just to make sure I won't run the risk of working. I only take my cell phone because there may be an emergency, otherwise I would leave it behind, too.

However, I haven't travelled merely for leisure pur
... See more
When you are away from home, not specifically during the trip. And also supposing the asker is not talking about business trips, otherwise this question is one more poorly devised question for the huge collection.

No, I don't even take my notebook with me when I travel, just to make sure I won't run the risk of working. I only take my cell phone because there may be an emergency, otherwise I would leave it behind, too.

However, I haven't travelled merely for leisure purposes for over two years now.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work while traveling?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »