Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you manage your billing/payment issues alone or with the help of another person?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:22
Member (2006)
German to English
Not really Jan 21, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

doing your own accounting, I wouldn't advise anyone to hire an accountant (I am an accountant, I know what I'm saying). In addition to paying taxes and not getting paid by the so-called non-payers, you still want to pay someone to do your accounts? Don't you have to check everything he/she does to see if they are correct? And if you don't, you'll always be in doubt if they are doing the right thing or not?

I have my own controls, my own "reminders" and "warnings", and even a "demand letter" template, if required. I learned how to calculate and submit my income statement (it's not hard at all, believe me), and I only need third party services if all of the above are in vain (in that case, a billing agency or a lawyer), but I only had to do that ONCE in 29 years as a translator.

So my advice is: learn how to do it and get rid of the money-eating third parties. They are really not concerned about your issues. They work as robots, for hundreds of clients at once, and your accounts go through a machine (usually processed by interns, not professionals), all in "auto" mode.

I am not sure what the world is like in Brazil, but here in Germany the tax laws are changing constantly and accountants have to keep up to date. And the amount of money that my accountant saves for me in tax is worth the while.
Especially the legal tricks....

And I concentrate on doing what I do the best, translate

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cloud accounting Jan 21, 2015

I use an online accounting/invoicing program. I really like it and it's a dramatic improvement over my white board (which I still use, but only to keep track of active projects). I was able to export everything directly to my tax software and finished everything in about 5 minutes.

The program is called Freshbooks. I have a coupon and YouTube review if anyone is interested.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you manage your billing/payment issues alone or with the help of another person?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »