Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you outsource work to fellow translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Leon Ivanihin
Leon Ivanihin  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
English to Russian
Never! Jan 19, 2015

Behind all the possible reasons like trust and responsibility of potential collaborator...
People, you have signed NDA, you have promised to your client, that nobody will read their documents trusted to you only.
About what fellow translator's help do you speak then?
Only make your job by yourself. It was YOU, who agreed, not your cat's best friend.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Making assumptions Jan 19, 2015

Leon Ivanihin wrote:

Behind all the possible reasons like trust and responsibility of potential collaborator...
People, you have signed NDA, you have promised to your client, that nobody will read their documents trusted to you only.
About what fellow translator's help do you speak then?
Only make your job by yourself. It was YOU, who agreed, not your cat's best friend.

We do not always sign NDAs and we may also have an NDA in place with trusted colleagues.

That is what the agencies do, right? So why should we not do the same. We are running a business too.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
French to English
Transparency Jan 19, 2015

Leon Ivanihin wrote:

Person, I always tell the client if I'm outsourcing the work to someone else.

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 14:09
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
If the client gives an "OK" Jan 20, 2015

Yes sometimes, I don't have time, and the client insists.

I propose to her that I outsource, they usually accept, provided that I do the review.
In some occasions, I was just too overwhelmed to handle the review, so I recommended the one and only colleague I trust. In other occasions, clients ask to put them in direct contact with the colleague so they make them sign the NDA too.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other = Yes, but I'm not an outsourcer. Jan 20, 2015

I do outsource translators when a client requests it for a large or urgent project. I do that often, and my friends do the same for me. But this is not actually oursourcing, since we are not negotiating with the client directly. If an agency gets the job from the client and asks you if you know more people that can divide the job, this is not outsourcing. If you get a large job directly from the client and divide it with other translators, then it's outsourcing.

[Edited at 2015-01-20 02:4
... See more
I do outsource translators when a client requests it for a large or urgent project. I do that often, and my friends do the same for me. But this is not actually oursourcing, since we are not negotiating with the client directly. If an agency gets the job from the client and asks you if you know more people that can divide the job, this is not outsourcing. If you get a large job directly from the client and divide it with other translators, then it's outsourcing.

[Edited at 2015-01-20 02:44 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you outsource work to fellow translators?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »