Poll: Where do you store your work-related data?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you store your work-related data?".

This poll was originally submitted by M. Laut. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:44
German to English
+ ...
Other Jan 8, 2015

On a server backed up to a NAS box.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
USB Jan 8, 2015

Mainly on a small 16G USB pen drive. I also keep copies on one backup PC and 2 laptops just in case, but I backup the pen drive more frequently.

The cloud "solution" is not for me, although Dropbox has managed to inveigle itself onto at least 2 of my computers...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A combination Jan 8, 2015

The computer, a backup drive, and sometimes a thumbstick.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
On an external hard drive Jan 8, 2015

This was a good storing method until I needed a new hard drive for my computer, changing the OS from XP to Windows 8. And suddenly I am no longer "authorized" to access my stored data. Sigh.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
All of it, Jan 8, 2015

except for the cloud.

But I also keep physical binders with basic information.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:44
English to Polish
Other Jan 8, 2015

On my computer drive, and each day an automatic backup is made on a secure dedicated cloud system.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 8, 2015

I send it to Wikileaks

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Best answer! Jan 8, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I send it to Wikileaks

this really made me laugh.

I keep it on my computer and do regular, nightly backups to an extra hdd, all automated and secure on Debian GNU/Linux systems.
I have too many NDAs and Confidentiality Agreements to trust any of it to a third party storage provider, and I don't trust them anyway.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In my computer?? Jan 8, 2015

I'm worried about those who answered "In my computer". I really hope none of us save all of our work only "in my computer" and nowhere else. Not having a backup of your work in a very safe place is a terrible mistake.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
On a stick? Jan 8, 2015

Doing backups to a USB stick is risky. Besides, I'm sure most of us have more than one USB stick lying around.

Backing up data to a NAS box or to an external hard drive seems the most sensible solution. So-called cloud storage firms come and go. What if Dropbox falls out of the sky and you can't access your precious data?

As my namesake Mario Freitas, I'm also surprised that people responded "computer" as the place to keep their backups. That does not make sense. By def
... See more
Doing backups to a USB stick is risky. Besides, I'm sure most of us have more than one USB stick lying around.

Backing up data to a NAS box or to an external hard drive seems the most sensible solution. So-called cloud storage firms come and go. What if Dropbox falls out of the sky and you can't access your precious data?

As my namesake Mario Freitas, I'm also surprised that people responded "computer" as the place to keep their backups. That does not make sense. By definition, a backup resides outside the computer.

I have a friend with the most convoluted backup strategy: every night she would back up her data to DVD discs. It didn't matter that I tried to reason with her that this method takes way too long at 4GB per DVD disc and that hard drives are sturdier and last longer than DVDs. She's smart but stubborn.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OneDrive Jan 9, 2015

I have recently started using the free 15 GB of cloud storage that comes with my hotmail account for backing up my TMs. This also helps when I am travelling, as I can access vital TMs from wherever I am without having to carry pen drives and external hard-drives.

[Edited at 2015-01-09 06:44 GMT]

Berna Bleeke (X)
Berna Bleeke (X)
English to Dutch
On my computer Jan 9, 2015

With a backup on an external HD.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you store your work-related data?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »