Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you rely on just one client/agency for the majority of your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
The one-client translator Dec 30, 2014

To rely on just one customer or agency for translation work is poor business sense. To start our profession with just one customer or agency is simply a fact of life.

Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
German to English
No Dec 30, 2014

No, I think that is a very bad idea to rely on any one client. As I've found out several times to my detriment, there's very little loyalty among the clients. They can really like your work, but they find someone a little cheaper cheaper and you're old news.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So many "yes" responses :( Dec 30, 2014

Currently running at 18% of 800. Too late in the evening for sums but that's a large number of highly vulnerable freelancers. Or are they actually true FREElancers? I know that France, at least, recognises that unscrupulous companies may be taking advantage of service providers on a full-time basis while according that person none of the advantages of an employment contract. Mind you, the French government is more concerned about lost employer social security contributions than freelancers' welf... See more
Currently running at 18% of 800. Too late in the evening for sums but that's a large number of highly vulnerable freelancers. Or are they actually true FREElancers? I know that France, at least, recognises that unscrupulous companies may be taking advantage of service providers on a full-time basis while according that person none of the advantages of an employment contract. Mind you, the French government is more concerned about lost employer social security contributions than freelancers' welfare.Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No way! Dec 31, 2014

And you'll notice all experienced professionals have also voted "no". No matter how many agencies I'm working for, I still look for others, offer my services, and accept jobs, as much as I can.

I have had up to 80% or 90% of my load from a single agency a few times, and let me tell you: All of them (no exceptions whatsoever), one sunny day, started reducing the volume gradually or simply disappeared. The agencies sign a contract with a client for a big project (let's say one year)
... See more
And you'll notice all experienced professionals have also voted "no". No matter how many agencies I'm working for, I still look for others, offer my services, and accept jobs, as much as I can.

I have had up to 80% or 90% of my load from a single agency a few times, and let me tell you: All of them (no exceptions whatsoever), one sunny day, started reducing the volume gradually or simply disappeared. The agencies sign a contract with a client for a big project (let's say one year) and receives a lot of work. They hire as many translators as they need to perform according to the contract. Once the project/contract is over, they have no bonds with the freelencers. They'll simply disappear. Then, in another sunny day, they may sign a new contract and look for you again. But if you have no other clients (preferrably many), you'll be in deep Sh(*).

Any freelancer who trusts an agency and keeps over 50% of their work with a single agency is either inexperienced or hasn't gone through the situation above... yet.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you rely on just one client/agency for the majority of your work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »