Poll: Would you turn down a job that contained misspellings/typos in the text?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 29, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you turn down a job that contained misspellings/typos in the text?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mafalda d'Orey de Faria. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:00
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Dec 29, 2014

The same as my answer in a similar poll posted on March 28

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/266749-poll_would_you_turn_down_a_job_offer_because_it_contains_typos_and_or_grammar_errors.html

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:00
German to English
+ ...
Why? Dec 29, 2014

No, why would I if I knew that I was going to be paid? I often receive texts with typos, spelling mistakes or other errors. I usually point them out for the sake of the end client's image as much of the material goes out to end customers or retailers.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't be doing much work if I did that Dec 29, 2014

Nearly every document I translate contains errors. I wouldn't mind betting that every one of us could recount primary-school howlers we've found in government or major NGO documents. Press on, smile, and get the invoice out.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Cast the first stone... Dec 29, 2014

Mike Sadler wrote:

Nearly every document I translate contains errors. I wouldn't mind betting that every one of us could recount primary-school howlers we've found in government or major NGO documents. Press on, smile, and get the invoice out.

No doubt about it!

On the other hand some source documents pass scorch-free through spell checkers, and yet I have a hard time figuring out what they intended to mean!

Practice in doing such guesswork leads me to see through this poll question.

I know several translators who invest an inordinate amount of time honing and backing up their multimillion-segment TM, so that 80%+ of most translations go through a CAT tool at lightning speed.

The underlying question here is whether all this effort pays off. Conversely, it asks if these people accept jobs that will ultimately pollute their precious TM.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Dec 29, 2014

If I get paid for the job, then it really doesn't matter, does it?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but ... Dec 29, 2014

A couple of times I have been given an OCR'd text that had mistakes in almost every word. In those cases, I did say I wouldn't do the job unless I could have a clean copy. This doesn't happen very much any more.

Otherwise, I take what they give me. I don't expect other people to have the same knowledge of language and grammar that I do.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 29, 2014

Not really. It depends. My source language is Spanish and, unlike English, its orthographic system is relatively simple, so there aren't usually many howlers. The main spelling mistakes commonly made by Spanish speakers tend to be confusing the letters B and V, and the consonants N and M.

I might send my clients a translator's note drawing attention to any spelling and grammar errors or other inconsistencies, usually along the lines of " by the way, the source text could be doing w
... See more
Not really. It depends. My source language is Spanish and, unlike English, its orthographic system is relatively simple, so there aren't usually many howlers. The main spelling mistakes commonly made by Spanish speakers tend to be confusing the letters B and V, and the consonants N and M.

I might send my clients a translator's note drawing attention to any spelling and grammar errors or other inconsistencies, usually along the lines of " by the way, the source text could be doing with a little revision", hoping not to ruffle too many feathers.
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:00
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Dec 29, 2014

You could never find work as a legal translator in the Turkish to English pair if you did!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not for that alone Dec 29, 2014

If there was more than the odd typo, and it was actually difficult to understand, I would contact the client to clarify what it meant and clear up anything ambiguous.

I would only turn it down if it looked suspicious or impossible in other ways.

OCR often has trouble with the extra Danish vowels, but they can be systematically tidied up, and the problem is easily solved.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apart from being irritating... Dec 29, 2014

Typos, misspellings and other writing horrors are par for the course in our profession. Sure, we all make fun of typos in secret, but our heads tend to focus on writing a polished translation...unless the typos or misspellings are deliberate to produce a certain effect.

More important is to spend our scarce time to reread those unclear sentences and paragraph to try to evince what they mean. On rare occasions, I have asked the client what they meant by a certain nonsensical s
... See more
Typos, misspellings and other writing horrors are par for the course in our profession. Sure, we all make fun of typos in secret, but our heads tend to focus on writing a polished translation...unless the typos or misspellings are deliberate to produce a certain effect.

More important is to spend our scarce time to reread those unclear sentences and paragraph to try to evince what they mean. On rare occasions, I have asked the client what they meant by a certain nonsensical sentence only to do one of the following: a) just cross it out or (b) use a new sentence provided by the client.

In the case of (b) above, sometimes the client's clarification is either worse or more nonsensical.

In the end, we have to reconcile ourselves with the sad fact that some otherwise intelligent people carry a bag of chaotic thoughts in their head, this making them incapable of expressing a coherent train of thought in writing.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No way! Dec 29, 2014

I think the people who vetto these questions are a bit lazy in the end of the year. The last questions were all quite a bit childish in their formulation. This one, for example, should probably say "lots of mispelled words or typos", because the way it was submitted (and accepted), it makes no sense. It's very rare to receive a document without errors. As translators, we correct these errors in the translation. A professional would never refuse a job because it has errors, or he/she can find ano... See more
I think the people who vetto these questions are a bit lazy in the end of the year. The last questions were all quite a bit childish in their formulation. This one, for example, should probably say "lots of mispelled words or typos", because the way it was submitted (and accepted), it makes no sense. It's very rare to receive a document without errors. As translators, we correct these errors in the translation. A professional would never refuse a job because it has errors, or he/she can find another profession.

However, if there are MANY errors, absurd errors, poor construction, many agreement errors, etc., something like a Google Translator document, then it's comprehensible to refuse it.
Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, indeed Dec 30, 2014

Mario Freitas wrote:

However, if there are MANY errors, absurd errors, poor construction, many agreement errors, etc., something like a Google Translator document, then it's comprehensible to refuse it.

When a source doc appears to be a total mess. I've never come across those.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you turn down a job that contained misspellings/typos in the text?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »