Poll: Have you received any last minute translation requests for the end of the year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 25, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you received any last minute translation requests for the end of the year?".

This poll was originally submitted by Carla Lopes. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, many! Dec 25, 2014

I'm going crazy. I've basically had to skip the holidays. I couldn't turn down all that nice money.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:57
English to Italian
yes Dec 25, 2014

Yes and it is a pleasure

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, one Dec 25, 2014

A 20-page PowerPoint presentation containing 1000 words about wastewater management. In other words, a very technical document with DTP on the side.

Unfortunately, most customers (end customers and agencies) don't understand that PowerPoint files require typesetting. This good client begged me to do the job (I have the time, I am willing and able) for $100 (that's where we parted company). I said no a second time.

I suppose 10-15 years ago I would have said yes; but the
... See more
A 20-page PowerPoint presentation containing 1000 words about wastewater management. In other words, a very technical document with DTP on the side.

Unfortunately, most customers (end customers and agencies) don't understand that PowerPoint files require typesetting. This good client begged me to do the job (I have the time, I am willing and able) for $100 (that's where we parted company). I said no a second time.

I suppose 10-15 years ago I would have said yes; but the more I learn about translation and the more I realize what kind of value I add to the proposition, then I have to charge accordingly.

So, I don't see myself doing much until the first week of January anyways.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
A few Dec 25, 2014

From the one PM whom I told I would be working this holiday season. It's been quite nice.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some... Dec 25, 2014

I’ve been overloaded with work the whole month and I will remain so until the 5th January. I could not accept a few translation requests coming from one-offs or very occasional clients, but nothing exceptional. Luckily I even had a client who informed me a few days ago that the translation originally scheduled for the 22nd December was postponed until the 2nd January. This lets me breathe a little sigh of relief but not much…

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
No/Not yet Dec 25, 2014

But the day is still young.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
one or two Dec 25, 2014

One from a regular client but the deadline was too short (Euro time).
But i'm continuing on a large proofreading project that has been going since the summer and must be finished by end of December, so I'm good until after the new year!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:57
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Dec 25, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

I’ve been overloaded with work the whole month and I will remain so until the 5th January. I could not accept a few translation requests coming from one-offs or very occasional clients, but nothing exceptional. Luckily I even had a client who informed me a few days ago that the translation originally scheduled for the 22nd December was postponed until the 2nd January. This lets me breathe a little sigh of relief but not much…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you received any last minute translation requests for the end of the year?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »