Poll: What percent of your income do you spend on office tools (software, hardware, desk, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percent of your income do you spend on office tools (software, hardware, desk, etc.)?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilakahuja. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just about 5% Dec 24, 2014

I'm including the tech support I pay for when I get a new computer every 3 years.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:29
English to Russian
+ ...
How about coffee? Dec 24, 2014

If coffee is an office tool, the figure would be more than 5%)

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:29
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Great benefit of this job Dec 24, 2014

As a business, freelance translating has the distinct advantage of having low overhead costs.

[Edited at 2014-12-24 14:57 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
It varies Dec 24, 2014

Some years nothing, some years more, for example when I buy a new computer. I have never averaged it out as a percentage per year.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
<5% Dec 24, 2014

In general, my office supplies are limited to paper, plastic sleeves, toner cartridges, envelopes, staples, clips, which I buy once a year. I have never average it out as a percentage of my income, but I suppose it’s less than 1%. This will boil down to a very different number when in 2 years or so I’ll buy a new computer…

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
German to English
+ ...
Once you're set up... Dec 24, 2014

Like, once you have your hardware and software, you're set up, and then most expenditures involve office supplies such as paper, toner and ink, and then Internet and phone services which you would probably use anyway. So the first expenditure on these things is going to be much higher than later on. Of course you need to replace old equipment, updated your software etc.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Other business-related expenses Dec 24, 2014

Not that much, in percentage terms, on tools etc. But I'm probably attending the ProZ.com conference in June 2015. That will eat up a substantial percentage but then it will be a holiday of sorts and set against tax.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Percentages make me wonder Dec 24, 2014

So, this poll question is straightforward and honest, but intrusive. I've known translators who are still using years-old computers and software; they don't feel the need to upgrade every year. More power to them.

I only upgrade my software programs if a project so demands it. For example, I was very happy with InDesign CS5.5, but then a medium-sized project for an established client prompted me to spend on a shiny new copy of InDesign CS6 (well, the standard Creative Suite anyways)
... See more
So, this poll question is straightforward and honest, but intrusive. I've known translators who are still using years-old computers and software; they don't feel the need to upgrade every year. More power to them.

I only upgrade my software programs if a project so demands it. For example, I was very happy with InDesign CS5.5, but then a medium-sized project for an established client prompted me to spend on a shiny new copy of InDesign CS6 (well, the standard Creative Suite anyways), about $400. But the payday for the project justified the outlay.

I am unconventional when it comes to money: I don't carry a budget (I used to, when I was in my infancy as an independent translator). I know I am doing well if I can continue to set aside money for retirement and for my rainy day fund. So, I guess I would be concerned about setting a percentage for this kind of expense if and only if I followed a budget.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
5 - 10% Dec 24, 2014

I don't spend a lot on computers since I build and fix them myself. I made my desk too, thanks to my years as a carpenter. I have upgraded some of my software to better support new projects - my app, new websites, more design tools for my wife, and so on. Luckily I get a lot of discounts from school, and some of my clients give me free stuff.

Oh and a new cell phone

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:59
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
30% or more Dec 25, 2014

Many of us think that being freelancers, we don't incur much overheads, but this is incorrect. For the last few years I have been maintaining accurate accounts of office expenses, and they tell a different story. I spend roughly 30% of my earnings in office related expenses. True, they include many more things than what the poll poster has mentioned (software, hardware, office furniture, etc.), and includes such expenses as phone and internet expenses, bank and paypal charges, maintenance and in... See more
Many of us think that being freelancers, we don't incur much overheads, but this is incorrect. For the last few years I have been maintaining accurate accounts of office expenses, and they tell a different story. I spend roughly 30% of my earnings in office related expenses. True, they include many more things than what the poll poster has mentioned (software, hardware, office furniture, etc.), and includes such expenses as phone and internet expenses, bank and paypal charges, maintenance and insurance expenses, office clean up, payments to reviewers, proof-readers and editors, and the like, but they are substantial.

Last year I redid my office space and put in place a local LAN and upgraded my computers and incurred substantial expenses.

Many of the translators who work for 2 and 3 cents per word don't build in these expenses into their costs and eventually end up with diminished capacity to work, as their equipment wear out and they have no money to upgrade them.

As a rule, you should change your computers every three years to keep them tip-top, as your bread and butter depends on them.

You also need to maintain emergency funds for the rainy days.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percent of your income do you spend on office tools (software, hardware, desk, etc.)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »