Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How far do you generally read a text before you start translating it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:19
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Even shorter/quicker Dec 8, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

If it's a text from a known client, then I usually start to translate right away since the document almost always follows the same terminology as the previous texts ....

If you get regular work from the same client, they'll give you the right info when they make the initial inquiry, such as "A sequel to the previous stuff you did" or "A version of such-and-such manual for salesmen or repairmen."

So, no pre-read is required. Works both ways - quick OK back to the client and quick order, and quick immersion in the new job by the translator. Win-win. No mysteries, unfortunately.

They just write something down the line of..."here's another XXX project". That's it, a 2-liner email. Sometimes even without a delivery deadline, cause they know it'll be done asap. If not, well, then my reply will say so.

Julian Holmes wrote:
No mysteries, unfortunately.

Oh, no worries, there's plenty of "mystery" left. Especially in the creative projects.

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Dec 8, 2014

It greatly depends on the text's lenght and the time I have as well, and also on its difficulty, I would say.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends Dec 8, 2014

One or two pages and I might read it whole first. But otherwise rates are typically too low to get into that sort of premium mode where you'd first read everything slowly, in hard copy, while sipping a coffee, looking into the sky and then at ducks swimming in the lake at the park, where you're sitting on a bench... Eh, time to quit dreaming. I wish I could work like that, and I technically could, but the sort of 'best rates' mood prevalent in the so called 'industry' doesn't leave room for anyt... See more
One or two pages and I might read it whole first. But otherwise rates are typically too low to get into that sort of premium mode where you'd first read everything slowly, in hard copy, while sipping a coffee, looking into the sky and then at ducks swimming in the lake at the park, where you're sitting on a bench... Eh, time to quit dreaming. I wish I could work like that, and I technically could, but the sort of 'best rates' mood prevalent in the so called 'industry' doesn't leave room for anything close to that.Collapse

janen
janen
Local time: 10:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
same here Dec 8, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I will skim part of the text before I accept the job, but once it has been assigned to me, I just plunge in. I have found that the mysteries unravel as I go along. For me, pinpointing them in advance isn't much help.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
So many pages, so little time Dec 9, 2014

In college, we were told to read the entire original before translating. That might work in an alternate universe, not in this one. At least, not with projects longer than 1500 words/4 pages.

Like many colleagues here, I peruse the text to get an initial impression of the text, layout, graphics that might need localization, etc. Then I plunge in.

I used to spend time building a glossary of project-specific terms. That was before I became proficient enough in TEnT and CA
... See more
In college, we were told to read the entire original before translating. That might work in an alternate universe, not in this one. At least, not with projects longer than 1500 words/4 pages.

Like many colleagues here, I peruse the text to get an initial impression of the text, layout, graphics that might need localization, etc. Then I plunge in.

I used to spend time building a glossary of project-specific terms. That was before I became proficient enough in TEnT and CAT tools (Deja Vu X2/3 allows you to build a terminology database on the fly).

Some paragraphs I can read real fast and get the gist. Other paragraphs require me to read much more slowly. I recently finished a legal document —a certificate of incorporation— with knotty paragraphs found throughout, which required careful unraveling (like a ball of yarn) before I could attempt to reconstruct the meanings in the target language.

But I was pleased with the results.
Collapse

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the type of text Dec 9, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

I read the whole of many medical texts - before I even accept the job.

If there is any special terminology or other issues I ask the client, or reject the job if it is more than I can cope with.

After all the patient's next treatment may depend on the correct translation of his previous medical reports.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How far do you generally read a text before you start translating it?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »