Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: As a freelance translator, have you ever submitted your CV in Europass format?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:28
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another +1 for Mary's opinion Dec 3, 2014

I've just been asked again to apply for an EU tender, but like many of the rest of you I'm not going to bother. I have actually worked for the EU, but in my experience they don't pay enough and they're very fussy. I can stand one or the other, but not both!

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
No, and I don't intend to Dec 3, 2014

because as others have said, it makes little or no sense to use this when you are a freelance service provider, at least when working in a soft science, especially one like translation where quality is a subjective issue requiring intangible skills like creativity, intuition, etc.

I understand this template comes in handy for HR depts in large companies which want to process applications faster... but it's not the kind of clients I'm interested to work with (or "for" maybe?)...
... See more
because as others have said, it makes little or no sense to use this when you are a freelance service provider, at least when working in a soft science, especially one like translation where quality is a subjective issue requiring intangible skills like creativity, intuition, etc.

I understand this template comes in handy for HR depts in large companies which want to process applications faster... but it's not the kind of clients I'm interested to work with (or "for" maybe?)...

I've noticed that a sizeable number of Italians use it, which I find puzzling... (I'm sure that the vast majority of agencies find it just as boring as most of us, as in the story told by SYLVY75)
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:28
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Crises Dec 3, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:

I've noticed that a sizeable number of Italians use it, which I find puzzling... (I'm sure that the vast majority of agencies find it just as boring as most of us, as in the story told by SYLVY75)

Do you think it is linked to countries facing crises? I don't know if Spanish translators use it widely too.

Workers on crises tend to soften their demands when confronting management guidelines.

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Europass CV Dec 3, 2014

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Frankie JB wrote:

Do you think it is linked to countries facing crises? I don't know if Spanish translators use it widely too.

Workers on crises tend to soften their demands when confronting management guidelines.

Yaotl: no, in this specific case, I don't think it's related to a crisis... A number of Italians seem to use it as their default CV... My best guess is that they are given this recommendation by some public body. Which one, and when? I don't know. But it's possibly by the same body that they are recommended to add this notice at the bottom of their CV, in full or shortened form:

Il sottoscritto dichiara di essere informato, ai sensi del d.lgs. n.196/2003, che i dati personali raccolti saranno trattati anche con strumenti informatici esclusivamente nell’ambito del procedimento per il quale la presente dichiarazione viene resa. Il sottoscritto dichiara inoltre, ai sensi degli articoli 38-46 del D.P.R. 445/2000, che tutti i dati contenuti nel curriculum nonché le attività e gli incarichi svolti corrispondono al vero, consapevole delle implicazioni penali previste (art. 76, D.P.R. n. 445/2000) in caso di dichiarazioni mendaci o false attestazioni.

(Maybe this notice is actually made mandatory by law...? Just thought of it... - anyway it's not the same issue as the CV...)

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Once IIRC, never more Dec 4, 2014

As per title.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a freelance translator, have you ever submitted your CV in Europass format?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »