Poll: In general, I see project managers as:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 2, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, I see project managers as:".

View the poll results »

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 15:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
I see them as colleagues... Dec 2, 2014

or part of a team... but I wonder if they see me as the same.

In the majority of my experience with them, this has indeed been the case, but sadly occasionally it has been more a case of them seeing me as "service provider" whereas in exactly those cases, they might have done better to see me as the "expert".

As you can see, as the Spanish saying goes, I "have no grandmother" - think about it!

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nice question Dec 2, 2014

I have never really thought about how I see them. Thinking about it now, I reckon I see them as clients when I first start working with them, but then it tends to evolve and I think of them as part of the same team, like Noni. Unless I get the feeling they see me as just someone you order around because you pay them, in which case I feel rather reluctant to work with them.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:43
Turkish to English
+ ...
Clients Dec 2, 2014

Well, clients' employees, really. I mean, that's what they are.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Dec 2, 2014

I see them as partners

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Partners too Dec 2, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

I see them as partners

WE have to deliver what the end-client needs or wants.
That makes us partners.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
client Dec 2, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

Well, clients' employees, really. I mean, that's what they are.

The PM works for and represents the company which pays me for a service. The PM is the part, the "face" of the client I contact to.
If he/she is not a client, then I don't have any.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Interesting question Dec 2, 2014

I wonder whether how you view the PMs you work with is related to how well established you are in the business?

I too saw them as clients initially, but now see them as colleagues - or yes, as partners.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:43
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Two types Dec 2, 2014

Not all translators are equal, and so do PMs.

Excluding PMs working for the end client, there are two types of agencies: Brokers and Professional practices, and the relationships with the PM is mainly deduced from that.

For broker type of agencies, PMs are typically just low level clerks - often without any background, understanding, or experience in the the translation business - that carry out the mundane bureaucratic operation with little to no influence over the pro
... See more
Not all translators are equal, and so do PMs.

Excluding PMs working for the end client, there are two types of agencies: Brokers and Professional practices, and the relationships with the PM is mainly deduced from that.

For broker type of agencies, PMs are typically just low level clerks - often without any background, understanding, or experience in the the translation business - that carry out the mundane bureaucratic operation with little to no influence over the project. They are not necessarily the translator's allies because the interests they represent are not necessarily align with those of the professional translator.

Professional practices (i.e. run by current and/or former translators), on the other hand, are usually the translator's allies because they have common professional goal in mind.

This is of course not a comment about the individual PM as a person.

So the question in this poll overgeneralizes and lacks an important distinction.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Depends Dec 2, 2014

Some I work for, some I work with. Some I really like, some I don't. Everyone's different.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Clients Dec 2, 2014

Yet actually both the PM's and I are the end client's business partners.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:43
French to Spanish
+ ...
Other. Dec 3, 2014

Never worked with a project manager.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:13
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends on the PM Dec 3, 2014

I work with scores of PMs, and with some I have been working for a score of years. Such a long association does increase the level of interaction to something more than the formal interaction between a translator and a client.

Some PMs are very professional, organized and knowledgeable about the translation process. I respect and come to depend on them to some extent to pilot difficult translation assignments. Some clients are stand-offish and stick to pure business relations. I rec
... See more
I work with scores of PMs, and with some I have been working for a score of years. Such a long association does increase the level of interaction to something more than the formal interaction between a translator and a client.

Some PMs are very professional, organized and knowledgeable about the translation process. I respect and come to depend on them to some extent to pilot difficult translation assignments. Some clients are stand-offish and stick to pure business relations. I reciprocate on the same lines with them.

I have also encountered PMs who are less sure of themselves, who are less organized, and with such PMs I take on the senior partner role and advise them and help them steady their ship of translation.

That is to say, my relations with PMs are shaped by the individuality of the PMs involved.

In general, I keep it at a professional, formal level, and never at my end downgrade it to an informal or friendly relationship. It is only when the PMs themselves seek a more informal interaction with me that I reciprocate in a like manner.

[Edited at 2014-12-03 03:43 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The only clients, when it's an agency Dec 3, 2014

When we work for an agency, we usually have no contact with the client. Therefore, the PM becomes our client. And I've found the healthiest relationship with a PM is when you consider him/her your client.

If they act like a colleague, so much better. Much easier to deal with and to solve problems.

If they try to act like a boss, farewell my friend. You are NOT my boss.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Distinctions Dec 3, 2014

I was a project manager. Twice. For 3 different organizations. What did I learn?

1) Being on the other side of the transaction (translator vis á vis client), I knew what most translators seek.
2) As a PM, I would strive to partner up with translators who met our criteria (which I made my criteria. Or vice versa.
3) I am a demanding person, so I would expect translators to respond to queries within 1-2 hours (barring the Out of Office message, naturally).
4)
... See more
I was a project manager. Twice. For 3 different organizations. What did I learn?

1) Being on the other side of the transaction (translator vis á vis client), I knew what most translators seek.
2) As a PM, I would strive to partner up with translators who met our criteria (which I made my criteria. Or vice versa.
3) I am a demanding person, so I would expect translators to respond to queries within 1-2 hours (barring the Out of Office message, naturally).
4) Some translators consider PMs not only as the face of the company but also as the one who can move mountains for them. Some translators consequently know how to ask for things, yet some others only complain.

It's difficult to generalize about the role of PMs unless we're giving a specific context. Otherwise, this poll question and the answers are open to more than one interpretation.

I'm pretty sure that some PMs are viewed as friends, intimate friends, even lovers. Sure, why not?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, I see project managers as:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »