Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which item would you give to a translation time capsule?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 30, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which item would you give to a translation time capsule?".

This poll was originally submitted by patriciacharnet. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Favorite dictionary -- definitely! Nov 30, 2014

I love my dictionaries. They have stood by me when all else fails. But it might be hard to choose just one. Is there room for a bookcase in the capsule?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My TMs Nov 30, 2014

They are the product of my labour, so they would show what I spent my working life doing. I imagine the NDAs I signed would no longer apply.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:06
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
My favorite dictionary(ies) Nov 30, 2014

I am very loathe to part with the most favorite of them all - no-one else I know has the same one and it's extremely useful and well-worn around the edges. Rather like me, in fact.

Like Muriel says, they are the soundest and most trustworthy fallback when all else (including my grey matter) fails.

Dictionaries are the crystallization of human knowledge. Treasure them! ...
See more
I am very loathe to part with the most favorite of them all - no-one else I know has the same one and it's extremely useful and well-worn around the edges. Rather like me, in fact.

Like Muriel says, they are the soundest and most trustworthy fallback when all else (including my grey matter) fails.

Dictionaries are the crystallization of human knowledge. Treasure them!
Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:06
English to Russian
+ ...
None Nov 30, 2014

All listed items will be obsolete or useless. Maybe coffee mug, so that they remember me)

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
My cryogenic brain Nov 30, 2014

They won't need anything related to translation in the Brave New GT world. But I might as well get something out of the offer.

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
None Nov 30, 2014

I can't do without any of them!

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
A typical week's schedule Nov 30, 2014

What about a copy of a typical week's schedule with details on the projects I worked on and the to-do list for that week? That might give an interesting glimpse into what life as a translator was back then in 2014.

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great idea! Nov 30, 2014

Thomas Pfann wrote:

What about a copy of a typical week's schedule with details on the projects I worked on and the to-do list for that week? That might give an interesting glimpse into what life as a translator was back then in 2014.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:06
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Nov 30, 2014

The binder with copies of invoices for my clients.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Nov 30, 2014

My CAT tool. And maybe Google Translate too. Those will probably be more than outdated and future generations of translators will look at it like we look at a flintstone

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
My chair Nov 30, 2014

People seem to like medieval torture devices.

^_^

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
A time capsule? What for? Nov 30, 2014

I never understood the irrational nostalgia for time capsules. Must be an American thing...and I'm American.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Nothing, who would care? Nov 30, 2014

When I was about 10 years old, I buried a time capsule with a friend with lots of little treasures in it. A week later, I dug it up again and kept it all to myself (without ever telling my friend, of course ).

I have a sneaking suspicion that any translator who would suggest such a thing would do something similar (I know, I still would - and by the time the time capsule was to be revealed, I would be dead anyway,
... See more
When I was about 10 years old, I buried a time capsule with a friend with lots of little treasures in it. A week later, I dug it up again and kept it all to myself (without ever telling my friend, of course ).

I have a sneaking suspicion that any translator who would suggest such a thing would do something similar (I know, I still would - and by the time the time capsule was to be revealed, I would be dead anyway, so I wouldn't have to be accountable to anyone).
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 03:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sample translations with source texts Dec 1, 2014

Some of the ones I'm proudest of are currently confidential, so I would want assurance in writing that the time capsule would not be opened during my lifetime.

Of course, since Gitte Hovedskov has made it clear that time-capsule buriers cannot be trusted, I would want that written assurance to be notarized, in case I need to use it in court.

MT is getting better and better, but I have just enough professional hubris to think that some of my better translations will stil
... See more
Some of the ones I'm proudest of are currently confidential, so I would want assurance in writing that the time capsule would not be opened during my lifetime.

Of course, since Gitte Hovedskov has made it clear that time-capsule buriers cannot be trusted, I would want that written assurance to be notarized, in case I need to use it in court.

MT is getting better and better, but I have just enough professional hubris to think that some of my better translations will still be ample proof that only humans (I count Star Trek's Data as human, FYI) can create a truly excellent translation.

Trouble is, I don't have time to go through all my past work and make a proper selection. Good thing the question is hypothetical. (It is, isn't it?)

Jane
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which item would you give to a translation time capsule?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »