Poll: Overall, how satisfied are you with the quality of your translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Overall, how satisfied are you with the quality of your translations?".

This poll was originally submitted by TAKAKO CN6YR. View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Very Nov 24, 2014

I wouldn't send them out otherwise, he said smugly

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What's the point here? Nov 24, 2014

I am satisfied when my clients tell me and the world that they are very satisfied with the quality of my translations.

Those who try to make me lower my rates don't count; I consider that their 'success' will be in finding someone cheaper to do it, so I don't care.
What I DO care is to have clients feeling reassured that my work is
... See more
I am satisfied when my clients tell me and the world that they are very satisfied with the quality of my translations.

Those who try to make me lower my rates don't count; I consider that their 'success' will be in finding someone cheaper to do it, so I don't care.
What I DO care is to have clients feeling reassured that my work is worth every penny I charge them.

Meanwhile I keep myself unsatisfied by default with the quality of my work, considering that no matter how satisfied my clients are, there will always be room for improvement, hence I shouldn't give up on raising the bar all the time.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pretty to very satisfied Nov 24, 2014

I'm tough on myself. I'm likely to find things I can improve if I keep re-reading my translations, but I wouldn't deliver a job I wasn't proud of.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pretty Nov 24, 2014

Sometimes I feel that I could have turned out a more polished version of the text if it hadn't been for the time constraints (deadline pressure), but in general I'm pretty satisfied and I can't remember the last time I got any feedback other than positive.

[Edited at 2014-11-24 10:18 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pretty satisfied and sometimes even very satisfied! Nov 24, 2014

Being modest by nature, this question brought to my mind a quote by Churchill “A modest little person, with much to be modest about”…

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
French to English
Indeed! Nov 24, 2014

neilmac wrote:

if it hadn't been for the time constraints (deadline pressure)

[Edited at 2014-11-24 10:18 GMT]

This is it in a nutshell. Then again, without deadlines I'd just keep reworking things forever...

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:36
English to Italian
other Nov 24, 2014

sometimes very satisfied (when the deadline is very comfortable and I have all the necessary time to re-read everything and then go over it again) others I am pretty satisfied, when I might have done it better.
Other I am not satisfied at all, because although I know the translation is correct, in my own opinion I could have one it much better

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:06
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very satisfied Nov 24, 2014

Naturally

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pretty satisfied Nov 24, 2014

There's always room for improvement ^_^

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:36
German to English
+ ...
It's an odd question Nov 24, 2014

We're professionals and as such need to meet certain standards. If we can't meet them, then we shouldn't be charging money for what we do. I know what criteria must be met, and how to work to meet them, and I also have my own standards on top of that. If I think I cannot do that with a particular project, then I don't take it on. Now if the question were whether every translation were a work of perfection, a work of art or a model to be held up for all time - then I'd say no. But we have a ... See more
We're professionals and as such need to meet certain standards. If we can't meet them, then we shouldn't be charging money for what we do. I know what criteria must be met, and how to work to meet them, and I also have my own standards on top of that. If I think I cannot do that with a particular project, then I don't take it on. Now if the question were whether every translation were a work of perfection, a work of art or a model to be held up for all time - then I'd say no. But we have a pragmatic profession having its roots in practicality. It must be accurate, readable, and suit the purposes.Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Pretty satisfied x 2 Nov 25, 2014

Like Triston, I don't rest on my laurels - there is always room for improvement. This motivates me to strive for the unobtainable, the 'perfect' translation.

On the other hand, though, I would not consider delivering something I was not satisfied with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Overall, how satisfied are you with the quality of your translations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »