Poll: How often are you asked to submit a sample translation before starting work with a potential client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 17, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often are you asked to submit a sample translation before starting work with a potential client?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Nov 17, 2014

But I'm reluctant to provide samples nowadays and wll only do so if I really want the job for some reason.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:53
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Frequently Nov 17, 2014

neilmac wrote:
But I'm reluctant to provide samples nowadays and will only do so if I really want the job for some reason.

Same here. My hands are pretty full already.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sometimes Nov 17, 2014

And if the client seems serious and interesting, I am happy to provide a sample translation, provided there is no firm deadline and the translation is not too long.
I prefer requests for sample translations over requests for references as I tend to assume my references have enough to do without discussing my services with potential new clients.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Never Nov 17, 2014

We don't get many new customers and they normally come through word of mouth. Most would not be in a position to assess our translations anyway.

Tests and samples are of limited value IME. Back when we subcontracted work, we found the only reliable way of telling whether people were any good, whatever their credentials, was to give them a few paid translations and see how it went. Cleaning up the mess was sometimes very time-consuming, but eventually we built up a good little team.
... See more
We don't get many new customers and they normally come through word of mouth. Most would not be in a position to assess our translations anyway.

Tests and samples are of limited value IME. Back when we subcontracted work, we found the only reliable way of telling whether people were any good, whatever their credentials, was to give them a few paid translations and see how it went. Cleaning up the mess was sometimes very time-consuming, but eventually we built up a good little team.

Your average agency isn't going to make that investment, but quality mattered to us.
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:53
English to Polish
Rarely Nov 17, 2014

They rarely ask for samples, and a lot more often for free tests.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sometimes Nov 17, 2014

I think it's a fair request when working in the field of marketing. You could give out 20 tests and get back 15 perfectly accurate translations, but it's perfectly possible that 10 would be in a non-marketing style. Of the remaining 5 some would be marketing-speak yet not really in tune with the way the company wants to be seen. Although style can change if you're given a very detailed spec, it's always better to choose a copywriter or translator whose natural style is a perfect fit.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Somestimes Nov 17, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

neilmac wrote:
But I'm reluctant to provide samples nowadays and will only do so if I really want the job for some reason.

Same here. My hands are pretty full already.

Only if I really want the job, and definitely not just to register with any translator pool.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
In Japan - more often than not Nov 17, 2014

And, I might have to do more from here on.

Because my main customer has just notified me that a 1-month project that I had been slated to start next week - that I kept my schedule open for - has been put back till 4 or 5 months time and other work from the same client is delayed, as well.

This year has been been one nasty roller coaster with more downs than ups. Back to square one!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rarely Nov 17, 2014

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

They rarely ask for samples, and a lot more often for free tests.

Like Marjolein, I prefer requests for sample translations over requests for references. What I can't understand is when a client asks for a diploma I obtained over 40 years ago...

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Rarely Nov 17, 2014

And they don't get one.

I have no time for freebies.

Most of my potential clients have received my name through colleagues in other language pairs who recommended me, so they don't ask.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not often ... Nov 17, 2014

Although having said that, exceptionally, I did do one a couple of weeks ago as the client came to me on the recommendation of an existing client and I never heard anything back - not even confirmation of receipt.
It reinforced the conclusion that I came to long ago which was that if agencies have work for you - they send work, if not they send 'tests'.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
German to English
+ ...
sort of "not applicable" Nov 17, 2014

Occasionally I get a request like that, usually from agencies who contact me along with others (often as "undisclosed recipient"). I don't do sample translations. When I used to do them in my first years and "passed", I never got work by "passing".

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes! Nov 18, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

Like Marjolein, I prefer requests for sample translations over requests for references. What I can't understand is when a client asks for a diploma I obtained over 40 years ago...

Or, in my case, a diploma I don't have. Providing samples (or test translations) is to my advantage, as I am pretty good, but my CV doesn't look impressive. And I don't like to have my referees bothered too often.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often are you asked to submit a sample translation before starting work with a potential client?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »