Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you prefer to work for foreign or domestic clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 10, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer to work for foreign or domestic clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Amar Nath. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No preference whatsoever! Nov 10, 2014

As I said before (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/245173-poll_do_you_prefer_that_your_clients_be_based_in_your_country_of_residence-page2.html): I welcome ALL clients from ALL countries as long as their projects are within my fields of specialization and they pay as agreed...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No preference Nov 10, 2014

Though I have had to pay higher fees for work paid in euros. If the work is interesting and pays well, I'm willing to put up with the inconvenience.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
Czech to French
+ ...
Other Nov 10, 2014

Both have their pros and cons - in my case, at least, as I am in a relatively low-cost country. Local clients mostly pay less, but faster on average, and the bank fees are close to zero. Combining both seems the best thing to do.

Elena Simonelli
Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
wider offer Nov 10, 2014

I tend to prefer domestic clients as I can offer them a wider range of services (interpreting, sworn translations...), but I am very happy with my foreign-based clients and thank the internet for allowing me to keep them

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Domestic Nov 10, 2014

Nowadays al my clients in are based in Spain, where I live and work, except for one in France. This way, I don't have to worry about cross-border payments. All my clients now pay me by bank transfer and AFAIK it doesn't cost me or them anything.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:50
English to Polish
Specify Nov 10, 2014

Specify "foreign" and "domestic". Does it apply to my (current) country of residence or the country of my target language?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Any who are friendly -- and pay Nov 10, 2014

I assume "domestic" means in the country where I live. That is also where my main source language is spoken.

I have some lovely clients in the UK, but if I have to generalise, then Scandinavian clients pay better, and I have some old friends for whom I still work over the weekend and late at night occasionally to meet a tight deadline. (It's just been one of those weeks!!)

It makes no big difference where clients come from. Sometimes I get a warm feeling just when I see
... See more
I assume "domestic" means in the country where I live. That is also where my main source language is spoken.

I have some lovely clients in the UK, but if I have to generalise, then Scandinavian clients pay better, and I have some old friends for whom I still work over the weekend and late at night occasionally to meet a tight deadline. (It's just been one of those weeks!!)

It makes no big difference where clients come from. Sometimes I get a warm feeling just when I see the PM's name on the e-mail, and prepare to rearrange my calendar if necessary.
On other occasions I am almost composing that 'Sorry, not this time' reply before I have seen what they want! I may take them on anyway, if the offer is good enough - some take time to warm up.

My favourite clients are scattered over Europe, with some in other parts of the world too.

I make an effort to keep up good relations with clients. Sometimes it pays off very well. If they are the type who don't care, then at least they have no excuse for hassle!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Foreign Nov 10, 2014

Pay 50-100% more.
End of.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here Nov 10, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Pay 50-100% more.
End of.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:20
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Offcourse Foreign Nov 10, 2014

due to currency difference, we get high as per their currency.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
95% foreign Nov 10, 2014

even though domestic rates are quite a bit higher. But I suppose it's because the world is so much bigger than my small country of Denmark.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 16:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
It depends Nov 10, 2014

Currency is not a big problem if the client pays via PayPal and depending on the currency it may be to my advantage.

But a big consideration for me is the time difference. It is hard to get clients to understand that when they send me an urgent request in the morning, I may not be able to respond until 8 hours or more later. Likewise, if they set what may seem to them a reasonable deadline of, say, 1 pm, for me that means sending the translation the evening before. If a client is w
... See more
Currency is not a big problem if the client pays via PayPal and depending on the currency it may be to my advantage.

But a big consideration for me is the time difference. It is hard to get clients to understand that when they send me an urgent request in the morning, I may not be able to respond until 8 hours or more later. Likewise, if they set what may seem to them a reasonable deadline of, say, 1 pm, for me that means sending the translation the evening before. If a client is willing to take that into account, it doesn't matter to me where they are.
Collapse

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
NO preference but... Nov 10, 2014

I do not care where the work comes from (with a few exceptions, as I explain below), as long as I get paid what and in the terms agreed.
neilmac wrote:

Nowadays al my clients in are based in Spain, where I live and work, except for one in France. This way, I don't have to worry about cross-border payments. All my clients now pay me by bank transfer and AFAIK it doesn't cost me or them anything.

However, through the years I have worked with a number of agencies from Spain, and most have been late payers and difficult to deal with, so I try to steer clear of agencies from Spain, unlike Neilmac.

Mónica Belén Colacilli
Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:50
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Currently, foreign Nov 10, 2014

Hello everyone!

Unfortunately, as it's widely known, Argentina is going through a big financial crisis and devaluation, so in my experience, it's very difficult to deal with domestic clients in terms of rates. Currently, I prefer foreign clients.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer to work for foreign or domestic clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »