Poll: Do you suffer from any health conditions as a result of your work as a translator/interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 9, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you suffer from any health conditions as a result of your work as a translator/interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by Dalibor Uhlik. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 05:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 9, 2014

Not really. I was having some bother with my wrists and back but Dragon speech recognition SW seems to have stopped that.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:39
Russian to English
+ ...
No, just because I work as an interpreter as well, just to Nov 9, 2014

get out of the house--not only for that reason, but mostly to see the world, and walk like humans are supposed to do-- to assume the upright position, from time to time.

I think full-time translation work is potentially hazardous to your health, if you don't make breaks and walk for an hour or two.

It can cause spine problems, obesity, eyesight problems and carpal tunnel syndrome. So, please protect your health, since you've got only one. Take breaks, walk, exercis
... See more
get out of the house--not only for that reason, but mostly to see the world, and walk like humans are supposed to do-- to assume the upright position, from time to time.

I think full-time translation work is potentially hazardous to your health, if you don't make breaks and walk for an hour or two.

It can cause spine problems, obesity, eyesight problems and carpal tunnel syndrome. So, please protect your health, since you've got only one. Take breaks, walk, exercise, lay down, and do not work too many hours. Eight is plenty.

[Edited at 2014-11-09 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 9, 2014

Unless you count insanity.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quite the opposite Nov 9, 2014

As a freelance translator I have control over my working environment, my workload, my breaks in the day, my work-life balance, and so on. I have found the health benefits of self-employment to be huge.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Nov 9, 2014

neilmac wrote:

Not really. I was having some bother with my wrists and back but Dragon speech recognition SW seems to have stopped that.

Yes, DNS is wonderful. The only problem is my over-worked eyes, but that's what eye drops are for.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Other Nov 9, 2014

I've had bad back problems from sitting at my computer for long periods and not getting enough exercise, even when I've got no translation work. As an attempt to motivate myself to get out more, I've recently got a puppy, who will require frequent walks.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, I don't think so... Nov 9, 2014

What are my health issues? I’m slightly overweight, I wear glasses and I have been suffering from ocular migraines (also called ophthalmic migraines or eye migraines) for some years. Are my health issues related to the fact that I’m a translator? I don’t know but I can assure you that it’s much easier managing my migraines being a freelancer than working in-house!

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 10:39
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Take a break before you break. Nov 10, 2014

At the first sign of lower back issues or RSI stage 1. Take a rest. Go for a walk or 30 minutes non-intensive fitness training.
And don't forget to swab your mouse from right-handed to left-handed operation, and back again, at the first sign of over-stressing your tendons.

If you are gullible to agree to virtually impossible deadlines and ridiculous low rates; then of course you will have to force yourself to pushing on onto RSI stage 2 and finally stage 3.
At RSI stag
... See more
At the first sign of lower back issues or RSI stage 1. Take a rest. Go for a walk or 30 minutes non-intensive fitness training.
And don't forget to swab your mouse from right-handed to left-handed operation, and back again, at the first sign of over-stressing your tendons.

If you are gullible to agree to virtually impossible deadlines and ridiculous low rates; then of course you will have to force yourself to pushing on onto RSI stage 2 and finally stage 3.
At RSI stage 3 you can throw a lot of money towards improving your work place and installing speech recognition software.

What would be more sensible in economic terms?
I think the answer is, the appropriate "No" to exploitative outsourcers and giving your body and mind a well deserved rest whenever you need it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you suffer from any health conditions as a result of your work as a translator/interpreter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »