Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which sign-off do you usually use when communicating with clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 25, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which sign-off do you usually use when communicating with clients?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:21
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 25, 2014

I don't communicate in English with all my clients...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:21
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
僕も Oct 25, 2014

よろしくお願いします。 or よろしくお願い申し上げます。

Is how it's done over here.

How do you all sign off in your respective mother or target languages?

Small edit - Changed the level of respect in Japanese

[Edited at 2014-10-26 02:50 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Normally best regards or cordialement Oct 25, 2014

But of course thanks are more in keeping sometimes.

I have one campsite owner client where all the rules are broken though. I virtually lived at her campsite for several years so with her it's "tu" rather than "vous", ending "A+" or even "bises". I do hope we never have problems as composing a final demand could be tricky.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:21
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Best regards/atentamente/cordialmente Oct 25, 2014

"Best Regards" is part of my signature block, so it's always there.

Depending on the client's language, I can either change it to Spanish (as above) or (@ Julian) to German "Mit freundlichem Gruß".

[Edited at 2014-10-25 09:42 GMT]

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
In English Oct 25, 2014

it's 'regards to you' after my hubby said it was nicer to use something different, as it's more personal.

For Dutch it's 'groetjes'.

For German 'mit freundlichen Grüßen' and French I don't have that often. I suppose 'cordialement'.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
С уважением Oct 25, 2014

'Best wishes' is for birthday cards. 'Yours sincerely' is for a formal letter. Best regards / С уважением / Cordialement are my preferred options for emails.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
bien cordialement Oct 25, 2014

or
kind regards
best

depends on the relationship with the client

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
LG Oct 25, 2014

I normally sign with sincerely, after a while it might change into kind regards. My dearest client is German and I always sign with LG, Liebe Grüße.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:21
German to English
+ ...
It varies Oct 25, 2014

It depends on whether a client is brand new, and I also take some clues from how the client writes. In German I might get "Sehr geehrte (name)" ending with "Hochachtungsvoll" (literally - dear honoured - with high respects), or "Hallo (name)" ending with "MfG" = "mit freundlichen Grüßen (with friendly greetings). Occasionally the "Hochachtungsvoll is simply intimidated to be talking to a professional, and is highly relieved to be able to communicate like a human being, if I start it off "Just... See more
It depends on whether a client is brand new, and I also take some clues from how the client writes. In German I might get "Sehr geehrte (name)" ending with "Hochachtungsvoll" (literally - dear honoured - with high respects), or "Hallo (name)" ending with "MfG" = "mit freundlichen Grüßen (with friendly greetings). Occasionally the "Hochachtungsvoll is simply intimidated to be talking to a professional, and is highly relieved to be able to communicate like a human being, if I start it off "Just call me Maxi".

In English, I like "kind regards", "regards" --- "sincerely" sounds too much like letter writing. I will get "Hello (name)", "Dear (name)", "Hi" (name), but also "Hello dear (name)" and more rarely "Hi dear (name)".

In French, what I get most often, and therefore use, is "cordialement".

The question is interesting because e-mails are less formal than letters, and they are also new ground.
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
other Oct 25, 2014

it depends on clients.

sometimes the same client receives Best regards at first, and maybe if we send each other more than one email during the day, the other might end with "thanks", "Bye".

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the client Oct 25, 2014

I use "Kind regards" unless the client is based in the US, then I use "Thanks" or "Thank you." I only use "Thank you" when I'm mad, but "Thank you!" is for when I'm happy.

Spanish is easier.

Saludos!

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
EN/FR/NO Oct 25, 2014

Best regards

Cordialement

Med vennlig hilsen

[Edited at 2014-10-25 17:26 GMT]

Rebecca Lavnick
Rebecca Lavnick
Austria
German to English
Maybe Oct 25, 2014

Helen Hagon wrote:

'Best wishes' is for birthday cards. 'Yours sincerely' is for a formal letter. Best regards / С уважением / Cordialement are my preferred options for emails.

maybe that's why I use best wishes most of all. Cheeky, I know. But it somehow fits for me at the mo'.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Various Oct 25, 2014

In English, I usually sign off with "best regards" or just "best".

Most of my business email correspondence is in Italian, though, which means "cordiali(ssimi) saluti" to new contacts and customers who prefer to maintain a formal tone. If the relationship is more relaxed, the final salutation might be something like "buona giornata", "buona serata" or even "buon uichend" if it's a Friday.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which sign-off do you usually use when communicating with clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »