Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which sign-off do you usually use when communicating with clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 05:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stuck in the seventies Oct 25, 2014

Where this is nothing beyond a cordial relationship (and indeed, perhaps not even cordial!), I seem to be stuck a few decades back. I use best wishes or regards, but cannot bring myself to use the "kind regards" which I note that students are being taught to use in their correspondence with potential employers and the like.

I am trying to train myself not to take an initial dislike to people who use this and similar formats, reminding myself that this is simply formulaic usage and
... See more
Where this is nothing beyond a cordial relationship (and indeed, perhaps not even cordial!), I seem to be stuck a few decades back. I use best wishes or regards, but cannot bring myself to use the "kind regards" which I note that students are being taught to use in their correspondence with potential employers and the like.

I am trying to train myself not to take an initial dislike to people who use this and similar formats, reminding myself that this is simply formulaic usage and that "yours sincerely" and "yours faithfully" must have sounded similarly strange and forced until we got used to the formula.

Yours anciently

Noni Gilbert (aged 54!)
Collapse

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
With sincerest regards... Oct 25, 2014

followed by my slogan, website address, email address and other contact details, as well as a hyperlink to my terms and conditions and other contact details.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kind regards/Un saludo/Salut Oct 25, 2014

I used 'Best regards', but then was told 'Kind regards' was the new thing, so have been training myself to use the latter for a while now.

Spanish - usually 'Un saludo', but sometimes 'Un abrazo' if it's work through a friend.

Catalan - usually 'Salut' or 'Una abraçada' for friends. I previously used 'Salutacions', but when I discovered 'Salut', I made the switch, it somehow seems cooler to me. I like using 'Bones' ('Hey') as a casual opening in an email too, just beca
... See more
I used 'Best regards', but then was told 'Kind regards' was the new thing, so have been training myself to use the latter for a while now.

Spanish - usually 'Un saludo', but sometimes 'Un abrazo' if it's work through a friend.

Catalan - usually 'Salut' or 'Una abraçada' for friends. I previously used 'Salutacions', but when I discovered 'Salut', I made the switch, it somehow seems cooler to me. I like using 'Bones' ('Hey') as a casual opening in an email too, just because the meaning is so different from the word in English.

Not written in Russian or French in a long time. I don't think I'll ever write in Russian again, but French is a possibility.

My very very best warmest regards,

Paul
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Oct 25, 2014

Noni Gilbert wrote:

I am trying to train myself not to take an initial dislike to people who use this and similar formats, reminding myself that this is simply formulaic usage and that "yours sincerely" and "yours faithfully" must have sounded similarly strange and forced until we got used to the formula.

Yours anciently

Noni Gilbert (aged 54!)

Even more anciently... My sentments entirely.

In Danish I used to end off

Hilsen
Christine

unless the client uses the universal ending for letters,

Med venlig hilsen (with friendly greetings)
Christine

as many still do - it covers everything from stiffly formal to cordial on paper, unless you are really at the 'love and kisses' level, so it is never wrong.
If the client uses it, then I do too.

But sometimes I feel just 'hilsen' is a little abrupt, so it develops into

Mange hilsner
(Many greetings)

Abbreviated in a long chain of mails to

MH

One client uses KH
Kærlig hilsen - loving greetings, but I keep that for the family on the whole!

Joshua Lee (X)
Joshua Lee (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:54
French to English
+ ...
Best regards Oct 25, 2014

As part of my standard signature, either best regards in English or cordialement in French.

I only ever change this if the level of formality between me and the client changes. I always follow their lead so I don't offend or mis-step!

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Depends on client and language Oct 26, 2014

I normally use 'Yours sincerely' (if then name is unknown, then 'Yours faithfully') in English and 'Atenciosamente' in Portuguese, for clients who are not personal friends. If the clienty is a personal friend or at least someone I know personally, then I use a more informal type of address.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
German to English
+ ...
Depending on the client Oct 26, 2014

or how far the relationship has progressed, I may even sign off with "Cheers"

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Best regards Oct 26, 2014

[quote]Christine Andersen wrote:

Noni Gilbert wrote:

Yours anciently

Noni Gilbert (aged 54!)

Even more anciently... My sentments entirely.

In Danish I used to end off

Hilsen
Christine

I agree. 'Best regards' is what I use and what I see. The form that really gets under my skin is 'warmly'. It sounds so insincere.

Most ancient of all - but not advertising the specifics.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Following client's lead Oct 26, 2014

...and, at least in the early stages of the relationship, making sure I'm at least no less formal than they are: it feels safer that way. Once a relationship is established, things get freer, but generally speaking I would rather risk being a bit too formal than a bit too friendly in a business relationship!

My "basics" are Regards/Kind regards in English and Cordialement/Bien cordialement in French. I will also use Thanks/Merci d'avance after a request, particularly one that is eit
... See more
...and, at least in the early stages of the relationship, making sure I'm at least no less formal than they are: it feels safer that way. Once a relationship is established, things get freer, but generally speaking I would rather risk being a bit too formal than a bit too friendly in a business relationship!

My "basics" are Regards/Kind regards in English and Cordialement/Bien cordialement in French. I will also use Thanks/Merci d'avance after a request, particularly one that is either urgent or tricky in some aspect.

I have more than one client with whom the greetings/sign off will be entirely omitted after the second in a long exchange of emails, except for the last one on each side. This sometimes entails writing an email simply in order to include a greeting, but it would feel very rude not to actually close the conversation.
Collapse

Alexander Vareiko
Alexander Vareiko  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
Always Best regards Nov 14, 2014

I've added "Best regards" in English and "C уважением," in Russian to my contact information in email signature settings, so it is always the same.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which sign-off do you usually use when communicating with clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »