Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often are you confronted with your own translations in your daily life?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 23, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often are you confronted with your own translations in your daily life?".

View the poll results »

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Oct 23, 2014

I didn't understand the question. Does it mean "come across your own translations"?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:34
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Rarely Oct 23, 2014

but it's an interesting and finally new question.

[Edited at 2014-10-23 08:32 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Never Oct 23, 2014

I am assuming this means coming across something you have translated, such as advertising copy, in a magazine or on a poster. Or a book on sale in a shop. I'd like to ask whoever posted this question to clarify it further.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Other Oct 23, 2014

I voted other because I have to say that now it happens from time to time, but in the past, when my father was trying to survive his cancer, I translated all the patents related to the drugs he was taking. Well, I did not actually want to have such a real application of my translation, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very often (though not daily)! Oct 23, 2014

I have been translating very regularly articles published by “The Economist” and “The Guardian” for a Portuguese weekly newspaper (“Expresso”) and a monthly magazine (“Courrier Internacional”)...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Rarely Oct 23, 2014

I assume this means outside work situations.

I pass by buildings and see advertising with end clients' names all the time, but rarely come across anything I have translated.

One exception is an international museum near where I live, as I collect their catalogues and magazines.

Of course I keep archives and TMs of earlier work for reference when the same clients send more work, so I am regularly confronted with those.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rarely Oct 23, 2014

Although it's happened a couple of times to me in the past month or so. When researching or doublechecking a term or phrase using Google or similar, I ended up on the website of one of my clients, reading a text which I had translated for them. The first time it happened I was actually quite worried, as I didn't recognise the website text as my own work, and I thought they must have engaged someone more skilful, with a neater turn of phrase. However, upon checking my records I found out that I w... See more
Although it's happened a couple of times to me in the past month or so. When researching or doublechecking a term or phrase using Google or similar, I ended up on the website of one of my clients, reading a text which I had translated for them. The first time it happened I was actually quite worried, as I didn't recognise the website text as my own work, and I thought they must have engaged someone more skilful, with a neater turn of phrase. However, upon checking my records I found out that I was indeed the culprit.

Which was nice

PS: And it hadn't been post-edited either!

[Edited at 2014-10-23 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Both never and all the time Oct 23, 2014

My translations in the TM I use to translate - all the time
Translations in publications or the public domain - never

Yes, this is a weirdly phrased poll question. I really don't know what it's trying to say or how I should answer.

Small edit

[Edited at 2014-10-24 00:41 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confrontational translations? Oct 23, 2014

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

I didn't understand the question. Does it mean "come across your own translations"?

Hahahahah, Lisa, I had the same impression.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Imagine being the Queen Oct 23, 2014

Your face on every stamp you lick, every coin you put in the slot machine, every banknote you snort through...

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Rarely Oct 23, 2014

One of my translation projects is up there for the world to see at Rome's Palazzo delle Esposizioni for the next 7 months, in the form of the exhibition "Numbers. Everything that counts", and it was nice to see that. But I shan't be "confronted by it on a daily basis".

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Rarely, but never confronted! :) Oct 23, 2014

I've seen one of my book translations, but usually I can read my subtitles while watching TV episodes. And that is not a negative experiences. Therefore, a firm "no" to this "being confronted with".

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once, to my surprise and delight Oct 23, 2014

neilmac wrote:

...and I thought they must have engaged someone more skilful, with a neater turn of phrase. However, upon checking my records I found out that I was indeed the culprit.

Something similar once happened to me. When I first arrived in Spain almost 20 years ago, the sign shop on the ground floor of our apartment building needed some words translated for a shop downtown.

I wasn't working as a translator (and had actually never even considered the idea), but they knew I was from the US, so one day one of them stopped me on the sidewalk and asked me if I'd lend them a hand, and I did for a very modest fee.

A couple of years later, wandering around downtown, I came across a large party store type shop with one of its outside walls completely covered with a painted list of what they had on offer.

After pointing out the rather eye-catching paint job and nicely worded (American) English to my husband, I suddenly realized it was the very same list I'd translated a couple of years earlier...and for which I'd charged virtually nothing.

Seeing my translation covering the side of a building made me feel rather like a star, but realizing how little I'd earned for it made me feel rather stupid.

Live and learn.

[Edited at 2014-10-23 16:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-23 16:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-23 16:53 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
All the time Oct 23, 2014

I see many of the games that I have translated on the shelves. Most developers even give me a free copy so I can enjoy it at home.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often are you confronted with your own translations in your daily life?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »