Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often are you confronted with your own translations in your daily life?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
a few Oct 23, 2014

I mostly do technical and legal materials,
but I've done patent applications and materials for products I later saw advertised,
or contracts or marketing materials related to items or businesses I later saw advertised.
It's kind of neat to see that.

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Didn't actually happen to me, but it's an interesting story, though Oct 24, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

but usually I can read my subtitles while watching TV episodes.

One of my professors is a researcher and a linguist that's been working with fansubs (short for fan-subtitled, according to Wikipedia) for quite some time now. Back when she started out her Master's work she joined a Brazilian fansub community called legendas.tv and started collaborating with the subtitling of French movies.

(By now the average poll forum dweller must've already figured out this is not legit or even paid work for that matter, and then there's this huge heated argument around pirating, and copy right laws, and stealing work away from professional subtitlers, and yadda yadda, but I won't really be getting into that here.)

So one fine day she gets a call from her nephew, who is an avid consumer of, say, less than reputable merchandise sold by street vendors, and he says "Did you subtitle such and such?", to which she goes "Yes, as a matter of fact I did". And guess what? The subtitles in the pirated DVD her nephew'd bought were hers.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:28
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A few times Oct 24, 2014

When I was working full-time for an organization, we would take up large interpretation programmes for national parks, sanctuaries, wetlands, zoos and museums.

One such project was for the Delhi Zoo, and it involved developing cage signages in English and Hindi for the animal enclosures and many wayside exhibits.

Many years later, I happened to visit the zoo with my children and all the signages we had developed were there right before me.

It was a curious
... See more
When I was working full-time for an organization, we would take up large interpretation programmes for national parks, sanctuaries, wetlands, zoos and museums.

One such project was for the Delhi Zoo, and it involved developing cage signages in English and Hindi for the animal enclosures and many wayside exhibits.

Many years later, I happened to visit the zoo with my children and all the signages we had developed were there right before me.

It was a curious experience, for I remember I quite anxiously read some of the signages almost fearing there would be linguistic mishaps in them. I also remember that I had looked at the signage with quite a critical eye and had tried nit-picking with the translation. But I must say, it was also an exhilarating experience, for it made me feel that I was in some way different from the hundreds of other visitors to the zoo for I had developed and translated the signages that were displayed there.
Collapse

Domenico Trimboli
Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:58
English to Italian
Mobile games Oct 24, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I see many of the games that I have translated on the shelves. Most developers even give me a free copy so I can enjoy it at home.

My experience is somewhat similar. Nowadays I mainly translate mobile/social games, those that will send you an - annoying - invitation to play on Facebook.

One of these games did really great in Italy (top 10 for around 7-9 months) and I kept receiving invitations to play the game I had translated. That was amusing.

Plus, when the job is complete and I feel the game is worth my time, I keep on playing it with my own translation, which is kind of weird.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often are you confronted with your own translations in your daily life?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »