Poll: Do you turn off your phone if you are racing against the clock to complete a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 19, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you turn off your phone if you are racing against the clock to complete a project?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Sophie Cardinal. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Oct 19, 2014

My customers always contact me by email. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I received a phone call from a customer. In general, if the phone rings it’s either one of my children, my friends or… a sales call! Anyway, I tend to answer right away. More often than not I do not have to race against the clock to complete a project and I'm even known to deliver before the deadline...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes sometimes Oct 19, 2014

And not only when "racing against time", but simply in general when working. I much prefer to deal with clients by e-mail, as it gives me time to think. And interruptions may not always be work-related. For example, cold callers trying to get me to change my telephone or Internet provider, insurance, etc. So, I tend to leave my phone switched off quite often. I can always check up on the missed calls and messages etc when I turn it back on.

Just last week, one client managed to catc
... See more
And not only when "racing against time", but simply in general when working. I much prefer to deal with clients by e-mail, as it gives me time to think. And interruptions may not always be work-related. For example, cold callers trying to get me to change my telephone or Internet provider, insurance, etc. So, I tend to leave my phone switched off quite often. I can always check up on the missed calls and messages etc when I turn it back on.

Just last week, one client managed to catch me on the phone and told me he'd been trying to get hold of me all morning. I explained that when my phone is switched off it is probably because I am so busy because I am in such great demand and that it is usually quicker and easier to get in touch with me by e-mail. He accepted my explanation.

[Edited at 2014-10-19 10:28 GMT]
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:31
English to Polish
No! Oct 19, 2014

My clients don't phone me, so I don't have to.

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nope, not the phone... Oct 19, 2014

Because like everyone else who answered the poll, my customers rarely call me, our communication is mostly e-mail exchange. What I do when I'm busy is get off Skype. I have several customers on Skype, and in the few occasions I'm projectless that's where they'll find me

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:31
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Oct 19, 2014

I close my browser.... because like most of us here, my client contact me through email. A phone call is a rare exception.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
No phone period Oct 19, 2014

I have call display on my phone. I answer only if it's my family. Friends I call back later. Any other calls I don't answer at all. If someone really needs to speak me, they can leave a message. Translation clients know that they should communicate with by email (and send me the document right away).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't answer it Oct 20, 2014

I screen all my calls through the answering machine. I turn it off if I'm really concentrating because even the fact that it rings is a distraction.

Like others, I prefer to do business by e-mail, especially because it ensures that everything is in writing. I seldom communicate with my clients by phone.

Since I don't have family in town, I don't feel obligated to be at people's beck and call. In fact, the telephone is not my favorite invention. The fact that people exp
... See more
I screen all my calls through the answering machine. I turn it off if I'm really concentrating because even the fact that it rings is a distraction.

Like others, I prefer to do business by e-mail, especially because it ensures that everything is in writing. I seldom communicate with my clients by phone.

Since I don't have family in town, I don't feel obligated to be at people's beck and call. In fact, the telephone is not my favorite invention. The fact that people expect me to drop everything when they want to talk with me feels like an invasion of my privacy. I make appointments to talk with the people I care about.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No, never Oct 20, 2014

My deadlines are for the next morning in Europe, so my "races" take place after 10pm at night. No one rational calls at that time, and, as everyone else has said, I only communicate with clients via email.
So it's simply not needed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you turn off your phone if you are racing against the clock to complete a project?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »