Poll: As a freelancer, do you ever suffer from 'cabin fever'?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 18, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "As a freelancer, do you ever suffer from 'cabin fever'?".

This poll was originally submitted by dasein_wm. View the poll results »

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 17:22
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Every two hours or so Oct 18, 2014

I have to get out to breath in deeply, otherwise I think I'll die from being so enclosured.

Cheers.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, because I'm not confined Oct 18, 2014

My dogs remind me every few hours that it's time to go for a walk. I live in a park-like area and the windows and doors are open throughout most of the year (in San Diego). We walk about 2 miles a day.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Hebrew to English
Yes Oct 18, 2014

I live in quite a rural area, so have nice open views of trees, fields, rabbits and foxes, but I do still get cabin fever, I try to get out at least once a day, which alleviates it somewhat, and the dogs and cats are company of a sort (until the other half gets home), but it's just not the same as a bustling office full of chattering humans (the social aspect of which being the only thing I miss from that environment.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never! Oct 18, 2014

First of all, I’m one of those persons who love being at home. I live in the city, but from my windows I have lovely views over the park. Anyway, I do get out at least twice a day because of my dog...

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:22
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
sometimes Oct 18, 2014

in the winter! i am glad I don't have to commute, but i go crazy from being cooped up and have to make an effort to get out.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Never Oct 18, 2014

Since I also have weekly, sometimes daily "outdoor" appointments, I'll never catch that fever. Even without having to leave my desk, a look outside my window provides me with tall trees and an always beautiful cemetery. If that doesn't suffice, a 13 meters' walk takes me out on a nice, sunny balcony in a quiet side-street with tall trees. Nature everywhere.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
No Oct 18, 2014

ALthough I spend most of the time at home, I love it, since, in the morning I am by myself, and it is wonderful, music, working properly... in the afternoon, my kids are at home, and I do work, but I also have to drive them to their football and basketball training.
I pick them up from school as well.
So at the end of the day, I go out a couple of times a day, and anyway, from my window I see the city, a big shopping mall...

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
No. Oct 18, 2014

On the contrary, I wish I could spend more time at home concentrating on my work.

Jane

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:22
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Oct 19, 2014

If I need a break, I take a break - it's very simple.

I never let my office turn into my very own personalized straightjacket.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Oct 20, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

If I need a break, I take a break - it's very simple.

I never let my office turn into my very own personalized straightjacket.

Jane Phillips
Jane Phillips  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
French to English
I love being indoors ... Nov 30, 2014

After spending over 20 years as a professional nurseryperson growing plants out of doors, in the rain, in the summer heat in the winter cold, in the fog, the drizzle, and yes sometimes when the weather was just gorgeous. But I'm really enjoying being in when its cold and wet, when its hot, not worrying about it snowing, or the hail. Inside is just great.

On the other hand I live in the middle of vineyards and woods, so very green views from the windows, I have a dog to walk whenev
... See more
After spending over 20 years as a professional nurseryperson growing plants out of doors, in the rain, in the summer heat in the winter cold, in the fog, the drizzle, and yes sometimes when the weather was just gorgeous. But I'm really enjoying being in when its cold and wet, when its hot, not worrying about it snowing, or the hail. Inside is just great.

On the other hand I live in the middle of vineyards and woods, so very green views from the windows, I have a dog to walk whenever I have a spare half an hour. So I'm lucky!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a freelancer, do you ever suffer from 'cabin fever'?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »