Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Learning many things Oct 16, 2014

John Cutler wrote:

I'm in the tiny minority who answered "Learning new things".

I guess I never grew out of the phase 4 year olds go through of being insatiably curious. Translating is a never ending source of acquiring new knowledge.

Hi, John. I guess the phrase learning new things is so overused that it's become a cliché. Nonetheless, there's a purposeful truism behind it.

I recently read a wonderful article about reading slow and its advantages. We had a very active discussion in the ATA Linkedin discussion group in the past two weeks about it.

My point to go with yours is this: we can't expect to learn many things if we read and translate too fast.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other II Oct 16, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

There was no "Guzzling down gallons of champagne at the end of each job" option.

Just wishful thinking ....

Just like there was no option like Being pampered by a female secretary during downtime at the home office

Ah, wishful thinking!

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:14
French to Spanish
+ ...
Nobody... Oct 16, 2014

...talked about money.
That's another "best thing"... I've done it quite well, I must say.

Britt Laux
Britt Laux  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Other Oct 17, 2014

No meetings!

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
German to English
+ ...
All of the above Oct 18, 2014

and many other things I could add. Near the top of my list as winter is around the corner is not having to leave the house on cold, dark mornings.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For me, the best thing about being a freelancer is:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »