Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: A client sends you negative feedback. You...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 15, 2014

It's never happened to me...

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Define "negative" Oct 15, 2014

The client may have something to say about one particular aspect of my translation. I've had some feedback, for instance, on the use of metric or imperial system for measurement units, or a particular phrase that the client would have preferred to be put in a different manner. That's something that can be managed and that's all the "negative" feedback I've ever received.
One should always try to accomodate requests from clients, especially if they're regular AND GOOD PAYERS...
See more
The client may have something to say about one particular aspect of my translation. I've had some feedback, for instance, on the use of metric or imperial system for measurement units, or a particular phrase that the client would have preferred to be put in a different manner. That's something that can be managed and that's all the "negative" feedback I've ever received.
One should always try to accomodate requests from clients, especially if they're regular AND GOOD PAYERS , as long as the request doesn't go against your principles and reputation as a professional.
Another type of "negative" feedback is that your translation is unacceptable. I've never had that experience, luckily
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
If I made a mistake... Oct 15, 2014

I apologize, send a corrected translation, and offer a 10% discount. If there is no mistake but the client is unhappy, I may justify my translation or, if the client's argument is reasonable, I may offer to make improvements at no extra cost. Fortunately these situations happen very rarely.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Discounts? Oct 15, 2014

I agree with Charlie above. I don't offer discounts. If a client sends me a piece of criticism, I address it to solve it, but I don't give out discounts or prostrate myself to beg for forgiveness, etc.

Since this is about negative feedback, I would act like many colleagues have suggested and get into the heart of the matter, focusing on facts, not emotional outbursts (from the client or her reviewers, for example).

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:51
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other - It depends Oct 15, 2014

I agree with Jack

Jack Doughty wrote:

I don't see how there can be any other answer but "other" to this. You might do any of the alternatives offered, depending on the circumstances.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:51
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yep. Oct 15, 2014

Chris S wrote:

It's never happened to me...

That makes 2 of us.

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
A combination, I imagine Oct 15, 2014

I think it is always best to accept criticism. How will you get constructive feedback if you are not open to criticism?

So always accept it. The question is how. Thankfully. That's how. Appreciate people who will provide constructive feedback rather than just drop people.

If the translation is to be defended, then defend it. But first off, express appreciation that someone will take the time to provide constructive feedback, a critical input to the process of continuo
... See more
I think it is always best to accept criticism. How will you get constructive feedback if you are not open to criticism?

So always accept it. The question is how. Thankfully. That's how. Appreciate people who will provide constructive feedback rather than just drop people.

If the translation is to be defended, then defend it. But first off, express appreciation that someone will take the time to provide constructive feedback, a critical input to the process of continuous improvement.
Collapse

TravellingTrans
TravellingTrans  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on if the feedback seems valid Oct 15, 2014

It seems having to choose between simply accepting and apologizing or defending what you've done misses out on how valid you feel the negative feedback is. Assuming you've done everything you can to offer your best, if the client simply doesn't like the final product it's kind of just one of those things that happens. If they have made good points then you should take that on board. It also depends on what they want and how they present it. I tend to try to be as reasonable as I am treated but I... See more
It seems having to choose between simply accepting and apologizing or defending what you've done misses out on how valid you feel the negative feedback is. Assuming you've done everything you can to offer your best, if the client simply doesn't like the final product it's kind of just one of those things that happens. If they have made good points then you should take that on board. It also depends on what they want and how they present it. I tend to try to be as reasonable as I am treated but I also have no problem defending myself if the complaint is weak or rude.Collapse

Jane Phillips
Jane Phillips  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:51
Member (2013)
French to English
He who pays the piper ... Nov 30, 2014

When I'm translating I'm always mentally justifying my choices, at least to me, so if the client questions something there is always a good reason to have used one word or phrase rather than an other. I have had a client insist I change a phrase for something much closer to the source text (was he the author and so proud of his work he wanted it to be audible in the translation?). So I did. More important to me the agency thought my original version was good and the client was wrong - but he ... See more
When I'm translating I'm always mentally justifying my choices, at least to me, so if the client questions something there is always a good reason to have used one word or phrase rather than an other. I have had a client insist I change a phrase for something much closer to the source text (was he the author and so proud of his work he wanted it to be audible in the translation?). So I did. More important to me the agency thought my original version was good and the client was wrong - but he who pays the piper ...Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: A client sends you negative feedback. You...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »