Poll: Do you keep your clients' contact details in an organized manner?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 11, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you keep your clients' contact details in an organized manner?".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:19
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hmm - Other Oct 11, 2014

In a systematically chaotic way.

Besides, they are becoming fewer and fewer - I've sheded some who have turned into monster customers in the past few years. In terms of organization, it makes thngs a lot easier but makes me a little more worried that I might be putting all my eggs in one basket.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 11, 2014

In my own organized manner, not someone else...

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes, Oct 11, 2014

how could anyone manage without it? Unless they have a very low number of clients.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes. Oct 11, 2014

EvaVer wrote:

how could anyone manage without it? Unless they have a very low number of clients.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 09:19
Turkish to English
+ ...
I see no need Oct 11, 2014

I have worked with vast numbers of clients over the years, some of whom I never hear from again and some of whom I do. I see no need to keep contact details. If somebody decides to work with me again, they invariably e-mail me and the chain of contact is thus re-established. As far as invoicing particulars go, I find the last invoice that I issued to that client and use it as a template - that is the only record I need.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Oct 11, 2014

Of course, I would get totally stressed out if I did not work in an organized way with a system to find all details right away.

In the long run it pays off and saves time.

[Edited at 2014-10-11 12:24 GMT]

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Oct 11, 2014

I assign all customers a number for invoicing purposes, and that was it

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
How organised is organised Oct 11, 2014

The addresses are each in a separate word file serving as template for an invoice, but as for email addresses - I have to rely on autocomplete if it's someone I haven't heard from for a while!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 11, 2014

I keep a folder for each client, which contains folders for each year, month, day etc. Their contact details will be in there somewhere, or in my email adresses.

I'm not really known for my organisational skills.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 11, 2014

I have an excel sheet with current clients on one page, old clients on another, and potential clients on the last. I don't use it very often, as most of that information is in the emails we exchange and each client has their own folder in my inbox.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sort of Oct 11, 2014

My excel spreadsheet is organised but it isn't quite up-to-date or complete. I doubt it ever will be.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 11, 2014

I record them in a searchable table in Word.
Some might call it chaotic, but it works fast and reliably for me.

There are columns for Name and Address and VAT no. formatted to be copied directly to an invoice, and a column for rates and one for comments.

This last means anything from Trados scale used, preferably mine, to 'Only pays when reminded' in large red letters, to 'merged with XX' and a date, or in one sad case, which I haven't the heart to delete, 'Bank
... See more
I record them in a searchable table in Word.
Some might call it chaotic, but it works fast and reliably for me.

There are columns for Name and Address and VAT no. formatted to be copied directly to an invoice, and a column for rates and one for comments.

This last means anything from Trados scale used, preferably mine, to 'Only pays when reminded' in large red letters, to 'merged with XX' and a date, or in one sad case, which I haven't the heart to delete, 'Bankrupt 2010'.

I do not delete them, because the comments are useful reminders about any who only turn up very occasionally. Some are great to work with, but only rarely need anything in Danish translated, and in other cases there are good reasons why I prefer to turn them down!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My comments field is useful, too Oct 11, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:
a column for rates and one for comments.

This last means anything from Trados scale used, preferably mine, to 'Only pays when reminded' in large red letters

I hope our files aren't covered by those PC laws that say you can't hold derogatory comments about anyone.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, of course ... Oct 12, 2014

Yes, of course I keep a record of my clients' full contact details - in a perfectly simple Word file arranged in alphabetical order, easy to search, update and add to, with a comments column. It's also useful when I get those Blue Board messages from Proz asking for information about outsourcers. I'm amazed to hear that some translators don't consider it necessary to keep such contact details.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep your clients' contact details in an organized manner?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »