Poll: Have you ever traveled to another country to meet a client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 7, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever traveled to another country to meet a client?".

This poll was originally submitted by ArtefactHT. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:41
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, a few times Oct 7, 2014

but mostly because I would be going there anyway:

Portugal
Austria
Switzerland
Hungary
The Netherlands
GB

Always interesting to meet the different people, have some lunch and get back to business.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The other way around Oct 7, 2014

When visiting another country, I've contacted clients there to meet them there. Did it in the US, UK, and Canada.

Distances are an issue. Here in Brazil, I could drive long enough to cross, say, 3 or more European countries, and still be in my home state.

The funny thing is that once, many years ago, while on a trip I flew from Los Angeles to Dallas only to meet a client, while a more recent (~4 years) - yet quite frequent - client, which is located within walking dista
... See more
When visiting another country, I've contacted clients there to meet them there. Did it in the US, UK, and Canada.

Distances are an issue. Here in Brazil, I could drive long enough to cross, say, 3 or more European countries, and still be in my home state.

The funny thing is that once, many years ago, while on a trip I flew from Los Angeles to Dallas only to meet a client, while a more recent (~4 years) - yet quite frequent - client, which is located within walking distance from me, I've never met them! The Internet covers any distance nowadays.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
The other way around Oct 7, 2014

The owner of a small agency in Colombia, whose agency was my first client when I started full-time freelancing, took me up on my invitation to visit last winter while he was in the U.S. He stayed at our house on the Canadian border for a few days, and experienced enough snow to last him the rest of his life.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Oct 7, 2014

Yes. After all, I live on the US-Mexico border.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:41
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Oct 7, 2014

but I would like to.

For example, next time I visit the US, where some of my best clients are based.

I wonder if I could show up unannounced?

[Edited at 2014-10-07 15:34 GMT]

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:41
French to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Oct 7, 2014

Henry Hinds wrote:

Yes. After all, I live on the US-Mexico border.

...that doesn't count, Enrique.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wonder... Oct 7, 2014

...if we have any Proz members who live in Andorra, Monaco or Liechtenstein. I'm pretty sure they'd answer Yes, all the time!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Once Oct 8, 2014

I was once contacted by a Belgium-based translation agency to provide Hindi language consulting services to one of its clients based in Paris. The Belgium agency funded my trip to Beligum and Paris and a week's stay in Paris during which the project was put into implementation.

It was a large multi-lingual project involving Hindi, Arabic, Korean, Chinese and Japanese languages and experts in all these languages sat together in Paris and thrashed out linguistic issues specific to the
... See more
I was once contacted by a Belgium-based translation agency to provide Hindi language consulting services to one of its clients based in Paris. The Belgium agency funded my trip to Beligum and Paris and a week's stay in Paris during which the project was put into implementation.

It was a large multi-lingual project involving Hindi, Arabic, Korean, Chinese and Japanese languages and experts in all these languages sat together in Paris and thrashed out linguistic issues specific to these languages with software developers.

It provided me a unique opportunity to mingle with hand-picked translators from other countries as well as a leading European translation agency.

Financially it was not much of a gainer for me, but I opted to go nevertheless for the exposure that I would get of working with international agencies.

While in Belgium, the agency also provided me with some training in the use of a few translation tools that it was using and also on its working procedures.

The interaction yielded a couple of projects for me on my return to India.

Regrettably, I later had to dump the agency on price-related issues and I am no longer working for them, but while it lasted, it was a very pleasant and educative experience for me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever traveled to another country to meet a client?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »