Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you ever request that clients pay you in advance?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:32
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
Large projects Oct 6, 2014

I have done this with mixed results. And I still do whenever I receive a request for any translation job that will require three months or more to complete (full-time).
I am not a bank, and I am not a charity case either.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right on the spot Oct 6, 2014

Chris S wrote:

If I thought that would be necessary, I wouldn't work with them at all.

It could not be said better.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes. Oct 7, 2014

dasein_wm wrote:

I have done this with mixed results. And I still do whenever I receive a request for any translation job that will require three months or more to complete (full-time).
I am not a bank, and I am not a charity case either.

That's the point!

Two pages translation, well, no, of course.

Two months work, yes, of course. 50% in advance, 25% half job, 25% at the end. No 60, 90, 120 days for the final 25%.

Works well for me, all the time.
And sometimes with smaller projects, if I don't now the (new) client.

Hugo De Zela
Hugo De Zela
Peru
Local time: 20:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on the size of the job. Oct 7, 2014

It depends completely on the size of the job and how that relates to time. Textbooks for example are a case where I ask 50% in advance since translation is usually done in parallel with fact and error-checking and it may require several round-trips.

Basically, if a project is large enough to render me unable to take on other projects, I ask for an advance so I can commit fully to that project. I've had companies who say that is not a problem and just pay and others have told me its
... See more
It depends completely on the size of the job and how that relates to time. Textbooks for example are a case where I ask 50% in advance since translation is usually done in parallel with fact and error-checking and it may require several round-trips.

Basically, if a project is large enough to render me unable to take on other projects, I ask for an advance so I can commit fully to that project. I've had companies who say that is not a problem and just pay and others have told me its not a problem if I push them back due to taking other projects and just pay it all at the end.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
New private clients Oct 7, 2014

By 'private clients' I mean individuals--e.g., authors with a paper to publish. I ask them for half up front, like Henry. I've never had a problem.

When they come back to me for more work, I no longer ask for the payment up front.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever request that clients pay you in advance?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »