Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever seen books translated by you published?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 5, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever seen books translated by you published?".

This poll was originally submitted by Carla Lopes. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 5, 2014

Which reminds me - I have some short stories to translate for the same author, but they've been on the back burner for a while, as the content takes me much longer than the usual material I translate... I hope to be able to do something with them this month.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Oct 5, 2014

but I don't think that anyone outside translation circles takes notice of the translator.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Portuguese to English
Yes Oct 5, 2014

But my name appears in very small print in an inside page!

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:06
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 5, 2014

I have never translated any books (and I am not interested either).

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, of course. Oct 5, 2014

Almost all of them.

Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Mine not at all! Oct 5, 2014

Georgia Morgan wrote:

But my name appears in very small print in an inside page!

... and my name didn't even appear in the 862-page book I translated in Macedonian!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
User's manuals and guides Oct 5, 2014

Quite a few of the guides I translated have been published, I never received any credit though.

Lanny Widianto
Lanny Widianto  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:06
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes Oct 6, 2014

Yes, and the first time it happened, it felt so great I proudly showed it to family members. Still feel great and grateful for the opportunity everytime I see the books I translated in the bookstore with my name (although small) inside.

Susana Magnani
Susana Magnani  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 6, 2014

Ever since I started reading (translated) books as a very young child, I loved searching for the translators' names inside. The first time I saw my name in the credits, I could have cried. It's an indescribable feeling.

Khanda
Khanda
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Yes, and it freaks me out Oct 6, 2014

I usually get a complimentary copy of the book, but I NEVER look inside - there's a pile of them somewhere in the darkest corner of my house. I also avoid looking at them at the bookstore. I dread the moment when I open one of them and think: "Not a bad book, but I would have translated it better..."

Alexandranow
Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:06
Romanian to English
+ ...
not books Oct 6, 2014

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever seen books translated by you published?".

This poll was originally submitted by Carla Lopes. View the poll results »

I saw many of the research papers translated by me published, but the professor did not gave the name of the translator. But I saw also published a short story I wrote in English on a blog of a world famous author.

[Edited at 2014-10-06 08:06 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:07
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Oct 6, 2014

I hear you!

Khanda wrote:

I usually get a complimentary copy of the book, but I NEVER look inside - there's a pile of them somewhere in the darkest corner of my house. I also avoid looking at them at the bookstore. I dread the moment when I open one of them and think: "Not a bad book, but I would have translated it better..."

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not under my name Oct 6, 2014

I don't like being credited for translations because someone somewhere always messes them up along the way.

This can backfire. Apparently the translator of the Stig Larsson dragon girl series was so appalled at what they did to his translation that he insisted on having his name removed - and then asked for it to go back on when they became a worldwide sensation but the publisher refused...

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:07
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, and I collect them with pride :) Oct 6, 2014

I love to see 'my' work published, and I proudly keep copies of those books on my bookcase. Not all of them have my name as the translator, quite a few give the translator's credit to the agency I used to work for, while others don't even mention a translator, but I'm not too fussed about that. I know that I translated them and that's enough for me. Especially if they look really nice. No shame in a bit of pride in the tiny part of our work that can actually be shown to others, is there?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever seen books translated by you published?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »