Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When working with an agency, have you ever contacted the end client directly?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 3, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When working with an agency, have you ever contacted the end client directly?".

View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Oct 3, 2014

I always think that this is a non-issue. How do I know who the end client is, anyway?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:14
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Oct 3, 2014

Sometimes it is evident, who the end client is, but I have never had any reason to contact them directly.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
More often when I worked in-house, but I still do it Oct 3, 2014

With the agency's permission I do sometimes contact the client directly with questions about a translation.

It can save an enormous amount of time to call someone and clear up supplementary questions immediately, instead of waiting for everything to be relayed through a PM who may or may not understand what it is all about.

Of course, I send simple questions by e-mail t the PM, and I NEVER contact the end client without asking the agency who would be the best person to
... See more
With the agency's permission I do sometimes contact the client directly with questions about a translation.

It can save an enormous amount of time to call someone and clear up supplementary questions immediately, instead of waiting for everything to be relayed through a PM who may or may not understand what it is all about.

Of course, I send simple questions by e-mail t the PM, and I NEVER contact the end client without asking the agency who would be the best person to answer my questions.

When I worked in-house it was the accepted thing to do, and I can usually turn it to everybody's advantage by reporting back loyally to the agency.

It also helps to educate the client and make translators 'visible' as real people who think about their work...
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
other ... Oct 3, 2014

None of the responses seemd to fit.
With some technical projects I am assigned a contact person at the end client to answer my techncial questions. I then contact them directly and cc the proejct manager so everyone is in the loop.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Other Oct 3, 2014

I don't work with agencies. Only with end clients.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Only once, as far as I remember Oct 3, 2014

An agency sent me a translation on a medical subject (treatment of injuries caused by landmines) which I refused, as I don't think I have enough medical knowledge to undertake translations in that field. The agency then asked me if I could do it if I could contact the client directly to ask questions. The client was a medical research centre. I accepted, and I think the result was a good job, in which I learned a lot of information about the subject matter.

[Edited at 2014-10-03 14:55 GMT
... See more
An agency sent me a translation on a medical subject (treatment of injuries caused by landmines) which I refused, as I don't think I have enough medical knowledge to undertake translations in that field. The agency then asked me if I could do it if I could contact the client directly to ask questions. The client was a medical research centre. I accepted, and I think the result was a good job, in which I learned a lot of information about the subject matter.

[Edited at 2014-10-03 14:55 GMT]
Collapse

Susana Magnani
Susana Magnani  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
I used to be the client.... Oct 3, 2014

In the case of one of the agencies I work with, I used to work for the end client, who - after I moved out of Canada and therefore left the company - asked their agency to start using my freelance services. I know most everyone at the client's, and we even keep personal contact. However, when it comes to projects, I only contact the end client upon the agency's request. They know I won't go "over their heads" and try anything fishy.

As for the rest of the agencies I work with, I hav
... See more
In the case of one of the agencies I work with, I used to work for the end client, who - after I moved out of Canada and therefore left the company - asked their agency to start using my freelance services. I know most everyone at the client's, and we even keep personal contact. However, when it comes to projects, I only contact the end client upon the agency's request. They know I won't go "over their heads" and try anything fishy.

As for the rest of the agencies I work with, I have not needed to contact the end clients (I know who they are, for the best part).

Of course, I do have a few end clients of my own, and I keep close contact with those .
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, of course Oct 3, 2014

I work for a Swiss agency that always gives me the end client's contact address in the PO and asks me not to bother them with questions, but to contact the end client in case of any problems with the translation. I think this is the only way of professional translation. Anything else is balderdash and in most cases does not really work.

Greetings to all
Rolf

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
;) Oct 3, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

It also helps to educate the client and make translators 'visible' as real people who think about their work...

Nothing to add.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Routinely Oct 3, 2014

How else would the end-customer know how to get hold of me and shaft the agency come the next job?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:14
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No, thank you! Oct 3, 2014

If I have questions about the translation, I will pass them onto the customer during the translation or at delivery. I trust them to then ask the end client to clear up any problems I found with the translation, i.e. source text - otherwise, they would not be earning their markup as 'middle men.'

Of course, if those in the middle insisted on me contacting the end client, I, too, would insist on charging a higher rate because I would be doing the job they're supposed to be doing whic
... See more
If I have questions about the translation, I will pass them onto the customer during the translation or at delivery. I trust them to then ask the end client to clear up any problems I found with the translation, i.e. source text - otherwise, they would not be earning their markup as 'middle men.'

Of course, if those in the middle insisted on me contacting the end client, I, too, would insist on charging a higher rate because I would be doing the job they're supposed to be doing which would obviate the necessity of their presence in the first place.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In theory yes but in practice... Oct 3, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Of course, if those in the middle insisted on me contacting the end client, I, too, would insist on charging a higher rate because I would be doing the job they're supposed to be doing which would obviate the necessity of their presence in the first place.

... it's sometimes easier to deal with the end-customer directly rather than playing Chinese whispers.

The way I see it, agencies earn their markup by saving you time (doing the sales legwork, finding alternative translators etc).

Liane Poost
Liane Poost  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
yes Oct 3, 2014

I had to contact the client because the agency refused to pay me.

Liane Poost
Liane Poost  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
true Oct 3, 2014

Rolf Kern wrote:

I work for a Swiss agency that always gives me the end client's contact address in the PO and asks me not to bother them with questions, but to contact the end client in case of any problems with the translation. I think this is the only way of professional translation. Anything else is balderdash and in most cases does not really work.

Greetings to all
Rolf

So true.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When working with an agency, have you ever contacted the end client directly?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »