Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When you're working, do you talk to your computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:34
Member (2009)
English to French
Yes Sep 27, 2014

Usually when I'm working with Trados and something goes wrong... Doesn't help much, but it does make me feel better !

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes. I can't help it - her name's Bianca Sep 27, 2014

And she's not 'PC'
A typical early morning chat with Bianca is like this.

B: I just loved the way you caressed the Start button just now.
J: Well, my little Cajun chickadee, I could hear you purring and I thought this was the best way to start the day...
B: This kitten is always waiting for you 24/7, honey-chile.
J: That's my gal. I can't wait to hear your 10 terabyte hard disk revving up for me.

Unfortunately, the rest of the conversa
... See more
And she's not 'PC'
A typical early morning chat with Bianca is like this.

B: I just loved the way you caressed the Start button just now.
J: Well, my little Cajun chickadee, I could hear you purring and I thought this was the best way to start the day...
B: This kitten is always waiting for you 24/7, honey-chile.
J: That's my gal. I can't wait to hear your 10 terabyte hard disk revving up for me.

Unfortunately, the rest of the conversation is PG rated for innapropriate audiences only.

Now you know why I enjoy working so much in my office. But, sssssh! Don't tell everyone, Bianca gets a little jealous. I would not like her throwing a tantrum just as I'm finishing a big job.

Small edit

[Edited at 2014-09-28 02:44 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, I swear at it Sep 27, 2014

I can see I'm not alone. When it refuses to go where I want it to go, is too slow or will not obey orders, I swear at it. At times I even feel like taking out the gun and shooting it, but I realize that won't solve any problems!

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sometimes Sep 27, 2014

I am so happy to know I am not the only one

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Russian to English
+ ...
I use Dragon... Sep 27, 2014

So I talk to my computer all the lifelong day. I have to be careful what I say, though -- it might get insulted.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Sep 27, 2014

No, because it's not a human being, it's just a machine.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Talking to inanimate objects again? Sep 27, 2014

This poll reminds me of a funny Spongebob Squarepants episode in which Ms. Puff, the driving teacher, is sent to jail.

The bigger question for me is Why do we humans talk to inanimate objects?

I suppose there are many reasons for that behavior. Some guys give pet names to cars and body parts. Our furry friends (dogs, cats, etc.) receive a series of alternatively funny and ridiculous pet names. And our children are not off the hook. There's a psychological
... See more
This poll reminds me of a funny Spongebob Squarepants episode in which Ms. Puff, the driving teacher, is sent to jail.

The bigger question for me is Why do we humans talk to inanimate objects?

I suppose there are many reasons for that behavior. Some guys give pet names to cars and body parts. Our furry friends (dogs, cats, etc.) receive a series of alternatively funny and ridiculous pet names. And our children are not off the hook. There's a psychological need to name and talk to things both alive and inanimate. Why?

I also suppose that we try to extend our internal dialogue onto our surroundings and their inhabitants. Of course, engaging in self-talk is enjoyable, stimulating and healthy. But when we extend that self-talk (because we do not expect responses to our queries or statements), we anthropomorphize things (cats, cars and computers, and other sundry items) to perhaps make sense of an event: a nonworking device, or a personal problem for which we need an audience to process it.

When a contract was suddenly unilaterally ended earlier this year, I felt sad; so I talked to my cat Garabato for a while, in spurts (not in an ongoing speech or dialogue, mind you). I picked him up, hugged him and petted his wittle head. I'm sure he was completely baffled and clueless, but it was okay.

As some of my colleagues here, I also engaged in insulting nonworking or unsatisfactory office items. The latest outburst involved not my keyboard or computer, but a lint roller. I was cleaning cat hair off my gym pants when the lint roller acted out (i.e. it unfurled a long series of sheets unprovoked). As a result, I threw it against the carpeted floor.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
And you are not alone, Mademoiselle ! Sep 27, 2014

Anne Carnot wrote:

Usually when I'm working with Trados and something goes wrong... Doesn't help much, but it does make me feel better !

Like I said, we do it because of an innate need we humans have. I think it's healthy. I would distrust a person who never reacts angrily (or in some degree of anger) at any object.

svetlana cosquéric
svetlana cosquéric  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Sep 27, 2014

but I talk to my car...:)

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 27, 2014

Aside from all the other reasons mentioned here (I think the best part of speaking more than one language is having access to a much wider range of profanity. I never use them in my native language, but I can keep up with the most drunken of sailors in Spanish!), a friend just sent me a program that he's been working on. It's J.A.R.V.I.S. from Iron Man. It has a neat little heads up display and it listens to you speak through your microphone. It's still under development, but I sure do enjoy gre... See more
Aside from all the other reasons mentioned here (I think the best part of speaking more than one language is having access to a much wider range of profanity. I never use them in my native language, but I can keep up with the most drunken of sailors in Spanish!), a friend just sent me a program that he's been working on. It's J.A.R.V.I.S. from Iron Man. It has a neat little heads up display and it listens to you speak through your microphone. It's still under development, but I sure do enjoy greeting my computer every morning and having it respond with "Good morning, Mr. Goodwin."Collapse

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Sep 28, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I talk to myself. It's possible that the computer could overhear what I say.

I was going to say something, but I think this post just says it all.

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
OK, I was wrong Sep 28, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Unfortunately, the rest of the conversation is PG rated for innapropriate audiences only.

OK, I was wrong. THIS ^ says it all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you're working, do you talk to your computer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »