Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many clients are you currently working with?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 22, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many clients are you currently working with?".

View the poll results »

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 10:43
French to English
+ ...
How long is current? Sep 22, 2014

If it means "right now" then the answer has to be one.

If it means "this month" the answer is two (so far).

If it means "over the last few months" the answer is about 6 or 7.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 11:43
Turkish to English
+ ...
1 Sep 22, 2014

If you mean my current workload, then my policy is to do one job at a time, so I am never working for more than one client at any one time.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
O Sep 22, 2014

I'm not working right now...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
5 Sep 22, 2014

I have jobs from five clients on my desk right now, if that is what is meant

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
I'm not sure I understand the question Sep 22, 2014

Is it asking how many jobs I have in my in-tray right now? Or how many clients I work with as a regular basis and consider to be my core client group?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
More than 5 Sep 22, 2014

"A whole buncha"... Am not sure exactly how many, and am too busy to go off and count them right now.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
10 so far this year Sep 22, 2014

I keep a record of the number of different clients in a given year. The number runs between 10 and 12.

My all-time roster shows about 70 clients, but some are individuals who don't have a recurring need for translation. others are no longer in business, and still others haven't agreed to my rate increases so I won't be working for again unless we can agree on better terms. I also lost touch with some of them when I changed my e-mail address; I was already busy and didn't let them kn
... See more
I keep a record of the number of different clients in a given year. The number runs between 10 and 12.

My all-time roster shows about 70 clients, but some are individuals who don't have a recurring need for translation. others are no longer in business, and still others haven't agreed to my rate increases so I won't be working for again unless we can agree on better terms. I also lost touch with some of them when I changed my e-mail address; I was already busy and didn't let them know about the change.
Collapse

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
8 Sep 22, 2014

I have 8 regular clients, meaning I get work from them regularly every month. Then I have 5-6 sporadic clients, meaning they send me work now and again.

Have a great day,

Nigel.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Misunderstanding Sep 22, 2014

Ah, there are obviously different understandings of the question: I thought it meant how many clients am I working with right now - which is 5, as of this moment, with 5 jobs in my in/out box, but if it meant how many clients are you working with this year, as other people have interpreted it, that's a whole lot more... Clarification, anyone? Judging from the results, most people have interpreted it as over a longer period.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
> 5 Sep 22, 2014

if you mean in general.

3, if you mean just today

I have about about 8 clients who provide me with regular work,

but I have signed contract with a lot of others, who are in my 'passive' files i.e. I rarely hear from them.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
I understood generally, Sep 22, 2014

and that's certainly more than 5. 34 so far this year, but only 6 with substantial volumes and repetitive, which together represent about 75% of my revenue (the classical marketing criterion for "major clients"). Only one job done today, but 2 under negotiation (different clients).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Six plus a couple of enquiries this month Sep 22, 2014

Six clients this month - one probably a private, one-off job, but he just might come back for more.

Three in the in tray

And a whole lot of semi-regulars who turn up three or four times a year.

I usually make out ten or a dozen invoices every month, about half with multiple jobs on them. This month I took a short break and some jobs have been bigger than average, so there may be fewer invoices this time.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
currently Sep 22, 2014

I interpreted it to mean this week, and I have one job that I'm working on right now for one client. One scheduled to start Wednesday. Another one due Saturday morning, and then two regular clients asked me about small additions to projects just completed - so this week 5 clients.

(Usually fewer though)

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
3 Sep 22, 2014

Presently I am working with 3 clients, 5 this months, and 10+ this year so far. The total number of clients I have been working with since starting as a freelancer is unknown / unremembered. This should cover all possible interpretations of the question.

[Edited at 2014-09-22 15:01 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many clients are you currently working with?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »