Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When you see a poor translation, for example on a website/in a manual, do you let the company know?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 20, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you see a poor translation, for example on a website/in a manual, do you let the company know?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mette Melchior. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Depends Sep 20, 2014

If it's my customers' website/manual - Yes. I'd be doing them a service.
Otherwise - No. What's the point?

If it's a really funny translation on a website or product packaging and I'm feeling in a wicked mood, I just might let others know about it so that they can have a giggle over their morning cuppa.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 20, 2014

But I often have to restrain myself, especially when the website or publication belongs to an organisation considered "official" or widely perceived as some sort of paragon or benchmark.

Obviously if it's my own clients, I do tell them...

[Edited at 2014-09-20 08:52 GMT to add missing apostrophe...]

[Edited at 2014-09-20 08:53 GMT]

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Other Sep 20, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Otherwise - No.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 20, 2014

It's not my job to straighten out the world.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Sep 20, 2014

When I started out, I used to point out any error found on public sources and correct them to make the company realize they needed to use a professional translator. I must say that my message was rarely well-received (if ever). I still get frustrated and sad when I see a poor translation but I keep my criticisms to myself.

PS Unless, as others have said, it's my customer's website or manual.

telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 22:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
nope Sep 20, 2014

because they may be machine or google translations. I think the company should be knowing where to get good translations

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sometimes Sep 20, 2014

Gudrun Maydorn wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

Otherwise - No.

raptisi
raptisi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:36
English to Greek
+ ...
No Sep 20, 2014

None of my business, anyway!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Enjoying your morning cuppa? Sep 20, 2014

It's time for some chuckles and giggles..

http://justsomething.co/34-hilarious-translation-fails/

Enjoy!

!!!WARNING!!! Some of the 'excellent' translations are not for the faint of heart.

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
No Sep 20, 2014

I think such an initiative would be taken as rude, interferring and presumptious if coming from strangers. It would be different if the comments were directed at family members or friends, who would hopefully understand that the remarks were being made for their own good.

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
not likely Sep 20, 2014

If I think it will lead to a dangerous or unhealthy situation, of course I would, but most likely I shrug my shoulders and think "hmmm. Looks like someone is trying to "save money" by hiring a cheap translator."

But sometimes I end up on sites on French or Spanish with an "English" button and there is no content on the other end. In these cases, I pitch a sale. Hasn't converted yet, but probably that's because they haven't produced the English version for lack of a budget.
... See more
If I think it will lead to a dangerous or unhealthy situation, of course I would, but most likely I shrug my shoulders and think "hmmm. Looks like someone is trying to "save money" by hiring a cheap translator."

But sometimes I end up on sites on French or Spanish with an "English" button and there is no content on the other end. In these cases, I pitch a sale. Hasn't converted yet, but probably that's because they haven't produced the English version for lack of a budget.

On a couple occasions, a web administrator got back to me with such decent English that I suggested to the company/organization to hire their own web administrator for the job and I would proofread it for a charge.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Sep 20, 2014

that is I don't go out of my way to say something, but on the rare occasion I talk to the responsible person anyway, well, then I might mention it..

Vera Wilson
Vera Wilson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Sometimes Sep 20, 2014

I sent an email 3 or 4 times, but never got a job out of it.
Maybe I should fine-tune my approach.
I don't think that those companies actually really cared, there was no budget for it - period.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Sep 20, 2014

They don't care anyway.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you see a poor translation, for example on a website/in a manual, do you let the company know?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »