Poll: In comparison to a paid job, how much time do you usually spend on an unpaid sample translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 19, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In comparison to a paid job, how much time do you usually spend on an unpaid sample translation?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mykola Khandoga. View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I don't do unpaid tests but... Sep 19, 2014

... if I did I would definitely spend LOADS more time than usual.

I've checked a lot of test translations over the years, and most of them have been disappointing.

[Edited at 2014-09-19 08:15 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't provide unpaid sample translations to agencies ... Sep 19, 2014

... but I will sit for a test given by an international organization, since they pay a lot more than most agencies. Those tests are timed, so the question doesn't apply.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't provide unpaid sample translations or tests Sep 19, 2014

All potential clients are more than welcome to contract me for a small-sized job in case of any concerns or doubts about my qualifications or services before committing to a larger project.

Anyway, the amount of time spent on a translation assignment is related to its difficulty or complexity. When I work pro bono I give exactly the same attention to that text as I would to a paid job.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:54
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
More or less the same as usual Sep 19, 2014

I try to give a representative sample of my work, and I do not give references, so if clients look promising, I make an effort to 'catch' them.

I sometimes spend a little extra time polishing a sample, but often I am busy with other jobs, and have to fit it in when I can.

There is no point in spending a lot of additional time on 250 - 300 words. I do my best, as always, and perhaps read it through once more, or look for special issues included to see how I tackle them,
... See more
I try to give a representative sample of my work, and I do not give references, so if clients look promising, I make an effort to 'catch' them.

I sometimes spend a little extra time polishing a sample, but often I am busy with other jobs, and have to fit it in when I can.

There is no point in spending a lot of additional time on 250 - 300 words. I do my best, as always, and perhaps read it through once more, or look for special issues included to see how I tackle them, and give them some thought. That is what I would do 'in real life' too. I reckon that WYSIWYG is the best policy, rather than promising more than I will be able to provide when real jobs come!

If I haven't frightened the client off with my rates, it works quite well.

[Edited at 2014-09-19 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
As long as it takes Sep 19, 2014

Translation takes as long as it takes. I don't translate faster for some people and slower for others.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I don't provide unpaid test translations Sep 19, 2014

All potential clients are welcome to contract me with a "test" translation of a couple of 100 words, paying my normal rate or at least pay 75 %, if it is not a document they need to have translated.

There is also the option to view my sample translations, well, 1 translation and 1 editing sample, on my ProZ.com profile - which also displays the number of years as a translator.

Regarding the time spend on
... See more
All potential clients are welcome to contract me with a "test" translation of a couple of 100 words, paying my normal rate or at least pay 75 %, if it is not a document they need to have translated.

There is also the option to view my sample translations, well, 1 translation and 1 editing sample, on my ProZ.com profile - which also displays the number of years as a translator.

Regarding the time spend on any given translation (or proofreading/editing) project, this largely depends on the type of translation, the quality of the source text and the subject.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 19, 2014

I don't USUALLY do sample translations any more. I might consider doing one if a job came up that I was really interested in for some reason, but nowadays clients tend to approach me without too many demands, as I usually come recommended by word of mouth. This month for example, I've got more work coming in than I can comfortably deal with, and the colleagues who I would usually pass it on to are either busy themselves or not available until October...

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Sep 19, 2014

I am not currently actively looking for new clients - so I tend to meet new clients by referral and by them approaching me. When they do approach me, they tend to do so with a job not a request for a sample.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
more time Sep 19, 2014

I'll spend more time (if I think the client is worth it of course). Not because I want to lure them in then deliver rubbish when they choose me, but because they are new to me, I need to do research to translate it properly.

I'll similarly spend more time on a first paid translation for a client, it'll come in handy when they start sending me more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In comparison to a paid job, how much time do you usually spend on an unpaid sample translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »